Sunday, July 29, 2007

All Mapped Out

Maps have been used as wall decor for as long as, well, as long as there have been maps. I got to thinking about the different ways maps have been displayed after reading a post on Pigtown Design in early July about maps. Here are some great examples of creative displays:

A map of 16th century Paris, Plan de Turgot, on a screen by Jansen, ca. 1950 in the home of Phillips "Pete" Hathaway, former head of French and Continental furniture at Sotheby's. House and Garden September 2006


Antique maps on display shelves in the home of designer Lori Weitzner. Metropolitan Home November 2006



I love the 1943 Miami Beach plat maps that designer T. Keller Donovan found for his South Beach weekend home. House Beautiful December 2006



A map of the Great Lakes was created by Francis Whitehead with platinum glaze on ceramic tile for the home of Mary Jane Jacob (former chief curator at the museums of contemporary art in both Chicago , MCA and Los Angeles, MOCA) and Russell Lewis ( Chief historian of the Chicago History Museum). Metropolitan Home September 2006



Globes are maps "in the round", and vintage globes are quite collectible. These globes are displayed on custom built shelving in the home of John and Janet Jay. Metropolitan Home October 2006



This vintage U.S. map and vintage globes make a great combination in the L.A. home of Christine and Craig Gillespie. Elle Decor October 2006

I love all three of these pretty rooms which have been decorated with vintage maps. Left: Beach House in Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard by Paula Perlini, House Beautiful July 2007. Middle: Florida beach house by Phoebe Howard, House Beautiful September 2006. Right: Guest Room in the home of J. Crew president Jeff Pfeiffle, decorated by himself. What talent! House & Garden December 2006

22 comments:

patriciagrayinc.com said...

I love maps and I am wanting to to a whole wall in a map of the world in a child's bedroom. I find it interesting looking at old maps and how the names and extent of certain countries has changed, even in our lifetime. I think maps they are great mind expanding artwork. Good research and good post. Thanks.

katiedid said...

Hello Patricia! I love maps too, and you are so right! I already have a globe that is out of date having purchased it prior to the break up of the USSR. Thank you for the kind words!

Suzy said...

Great post. You're right, maps make an interesting design feature, and are also a great educational reference tool. I've lived overseas for a few years now and my mother has a large one on the wall of her spare room so when my neices sleep over they can see where their aunty and uncle live, which is very sweet.
I had not seen some of those images before, so thanks for sharing!

Bhavna said...

I used to be a map reader... when I was young..er(ahem), I would open up this huge atlas and look through maps - road maps,physical maps, topography maps - anything! I guess this was a direct result of wanderlust in my genes!

You have reminded me of my lost hobby :-)...and given a great idea for my still bare home walls! Thanks!

the House of Beauty and Culture said...

I love maps especially when they are personal.
Great as gifts - esp. for those who have everything!
Also, like PGinc, love it for a child's room - can teach them so many things and helps to open their world.
Great images/examples.

katiedid said...

Hello Suzy, Bhavna and HBC! Thank you all for visiting.

Suzy, where do you live now? I am off to visit your blog!

Bhavna - what a great hobby!

HBC - I think you are so right! I was looking for an image of a child's room that I remembered liking, but couldn't find it! If you know of one let me know!

Thanks again all! :)

girl meets glamour said...

I just love this collection of map decor Katie!!! Great images. I always love a well framed map...but those globes are fun too :)

~Kate

franki durbin said...

I've always harbored a love of old world maps and globes. They have a timeless quality and always lend a bit of gravitas to a room.

It's nice to know I'm not alone in that guilty pleasure! Lori Weitzner's maps on display shelves have a great 'pottern barn catalogue' vibe to them. Nice collection.

The Peak of Chic said...

Katie- I can't choose a favorite b/c they all look great. Do love Pfeifle's apt and beach house by Mrs. Howard; love the Jansen screen; and think the Great Lakes map on the tile is genius!

katiedid said...

Hi Kate, Frankie and Jennifer! I like a good map too. I think the screen has to be my favorite here. Did you guess, since I put it first? But I love all the examples!

style court said...

Katie, I love this post - especially the Hathaway home top! Also love that tree of life image in your sidebar.

katiedid said...

Hi Courtney! Yes, that is my favorite too, and what a fascinating man! The artcle was great.

Thanks for the side bar comment too! I thought I should step it up a notch and get more creative with the blog. :)

ALL THE BEST said...

I love maps for decorating. We have three large antique maps of Lancaster County Pennsylvania (were my husband's family is from) framed and hanging in our hallway. They always get tons of comments.

Sarah Jennings said...

I love the wall unit with the collection of globes...something that could be filled with clutter instead looks so chic and interesting. Great post!

Fairfax said...

Thanks for the mention, Katie!

katiedid said...

Hi Sarah! Thanks for visiting! I am off to visit your blog!

Hi Fairfax! Your blog is always a great read!

Cote de Texas said...

I need to blog a picture of my office. On one wall I have this huge map of old Rome that I bought at a second hand store. It's mounted on a board that weighs a ton. Great post, I love maps! I love this post so much!!!! Thanks~

Joni

katiedid said...

Thanks Joni! I agree! I'd love to see your Office!

Me, Myself, & I said...

I read your blog regularly. Sorry for not posting sooner! This post hit home for me as I love old maps. I have a collection of many found along my travels that have yet to be framed for my living room re-do. Thanks for this fabulous post.

katiedid said...

Hello Me! Thanks for visiting! I love the maps too. I visited your blog too and will be back!

Rael said...

Hi, Katie, your Pigtown Design inspiration really took you far! Thanks for the wonderful research work! Some folks might be interested to know how to care for their vintage maps (e.g. displaying, to put color or not? etc.) Here's an
article
on the details.

zincdesign said...

Katie...what a great post...love maps...especially when they are used in un-expected places...like the shower shown here. I love old dressers with the drawers papered in old maps...old maps lining the backs of shelves...and under glass on a coffee table...thank you for the beautiful images.
Congratulations on your recent ads...very nice!