Monday, August 13, 2007

David Weeks vs. Serge Mouille?!?

So I have been planning this post on David Weeks and Serge Mouille light fixtures for awhile now because I sort of love them. They are kind of Calder mobile-ish go anywhere sorts of light fixtures. And then I open my new House Beautiful and in my favorite house in the issue, the owner and designer Betsy Brown has BOTH a vintage Serge AND a David Weeks:

Here is the classic floor lamp by French Deco master Serge Mouille. The ikat covered bergere and cowhide rug along with the sculptural quality of the lamp is brilliant!

And here is the David Weeks for Pucci International as a bedside sconce in white. (You sort of have to squint to see it. It's in front of the window.) This is a bedroom I could call home. Mixing this fixture with the gilt mirror and old limed plank floors is just perfect to me! House Beautiful Sept. 2007, Photos by Don Freeman

Working with designer Blathnaid Behan, the owners of this London Victorian house are lucky to own a Serge Mouille. Again, a great combination of contemporary and traditional. Elle Decor, April 2007, Photos by Simon Upton

This Dining Room by another one of my design crushes Vicente Wolf and associate David Rogel features a David Weeks fixture in white. I am thinking the white is my preference. Metropolitan Home, February 2007; Photos by, the man himself, Vicente Wolf!

This Malibu, CA house was designed by another favorite of mine, Madeline Stuart. Again, Love the David Weeks fixture. (But, dare I ask, what's with the furry bean bag chair?!). Elle Decor , Jul/Aug 2007, Photos by Dominique Vorillon

And Steven Gambrel! I just can't get enough! Mr. Gambrel has used a large David Weeks which really makes this dining room happen. House and Garden November 2003. Photos by William Abrnowicz

And here is a chandelier by Serge Mouille in a dining room by designer Tse yun Chu. Metropolitan Home, July/Aug. 2007, Photos by Antoine Bootz (isn't that a fun name?)

And last, this contemporary dining room features a custom David Weeks fixture. Interior Design by David Oldroyd of Orlando Diaz-Azcuy Design Associates. Metropolitan Magazine April 2007, Photos by John Ellis.

So, which do you prefer? The David Weeks or the vintage Serge Mouille? Is David the new Serge? Or is Serge the one and only?

The Serge Mouille fixtures have become so rare that his spouse, Gin Mouille, has introduced a new edition, stamped, numbered, and represented exclusively by Inside Modern Living. To find out more visit the website.

Also, visit David Weeks Studio and see his other creations in furniture and whimsical accessories.

P.S. I was enjoying all of the latest in the blogosphere tonight and came across a happy coincidence on the blog of House of Beauty and Culture. We have both posted on the subject of Serge Mouille. I hope you visit their post since it is all about the history of Serge Mouille. Definately information worth reading! AND their wonderful blog is a Must See!

30 comments:

the House of Beauty and Culture said...

Ha,fabulous - you know what they say about great minds... I really like David Weeks and Pucci International. Hopefully I will be able to post a couple of shots of the projects I used the Mouille in.

The Peak of Chic said...

Wow Katie! You certainly did your homework :) Great images! I think I'm leaning towards Mouille, but it's a tough call. All of them are very stylish!

katiedid said...

HOBC- I would LOVE to see the photos of your completed projects. You are such a talent.

katiedid said...

Hello Jennifer-
I think it is a tough call to. I lean a little toward the Mouille also, just because of it being a more goundbreaking design in his day. But I do love the white Weeks. Hmmm.

patriciagrayinc.com said...

Great Post..I also saw the House of Beauty and Culture post and think that it is very timely that you are featuring these two very similiam lighting designs. Mouille came first, but David Weeks is more acessible to purchase, so they both win. The Vincente Wolf picture is my favourite. I am looking forward to seeing how House of Beauty uses the originals for her clients. Also I am dealing with David Weeks right now on ordering a custom fixture from them and they are first class to work with.

robyn said...

Great post Katie, You're the expert. I knew nothing about either, now I do. I prefer the vintage fixtues, but how talented they both are!
I also love the limed plank floors & the dining room pic of Vicente Wolf's, w/ the D. Weeks fixture, love the whites and darker colors- photographs on the wall shelf etc. Modern in a nice way.

katiedid said...

Hello Patricia!
I am a big fan of Vicente Wolf too. And I am happy to hear the David Weeks Studio is so nice to deal with. It certainly makes our jobs easier!

katiedid said...

Hi Robyn!
Glad you stoped by and enjoyed the post!

patriciagrayinc.com said...

BTW..great in sync with House of Beauty and Culture.

katiedid said...

I know Patricia! Isn't that the funniest?

Mélanie said...

Mouille is so chic !!!
I love it/
Thank you for this post .But I didn't know David Weeks and I've just discovered him and I love his work . For mr it is inspired by Mouille but different .
For me Mouille is the Best .
Mélanie

katiedid said...

Hi Melanie-
I think you are right!

Anonymous said...

there is NO comparison: Mouille is superior; Weeks is a cheap knock-off. Funny enough, we used Weeks sconces on a project as place holders until we acquired a pair of original Mouille appliques. What is the main difference? Very simple: the Mouille's have a a more organic hand-crafted feel, a shape that is truly original and a pleasure to look at; whereas the Weeks convey a cheap stamped metal feel, and the shape is rather uninspired. Weeks is good enough for generic design as per most of the pottery barn style design pics above, Mouille can hold its own in an empty space....

katiedid said...

Dear Anon-
I appreciate your candor. I do agree that Mouille was the pioneer and created beautifully inspired light fixtures. However, I must passionately disagree with your opinion regarding the design pictures you describe as "Pottery Barn style". The designers of these spaces are exceptional and have proven themselves time and again to be original and anything but "generic". I wonder if you noticed the names: Vicente Wolf,Madeline Stuart, Steven Gambrel and the office of Orlando Diaz-Azcuy, the designers to which you refer. All giants in the design industry.

P.S. Whatever happened to the "place holder" David Weeks fixtures? I'd be happy to take them off your hands! :)

Bhavna said...

I like both!! Do we have to - have to pick and choose?!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Okay I am just loving that ikat fabric. Do you know where that is from? Must wangle a trip to Indonesia with my job - I remember such wonderful ikats there.

katiedid said...

Hello Bhavna!
I can't choose either. ;)

katiedid said...

Hi Maryam! So glad you are back! The fabric is from Madeline Weinrib Atelier and is called Black Luce. www.madelineweirib.com
I love her things!

frances said...

they are both good, and the people at david weeks are really nice!
i also like stilnovo... http://innumerablegoods.typepad.com/innumerable_goods/2007/07/stilnovo.html

katiedid said...

Hi Francis!
Thanks for stopping in and for the info!

becky said...

I was just re-reading that HB issue last night and drooling. When did HB get SO sophisticated? They have really stepped it up lately!

katiedid said...

Hi Becky-
I knoe! HB has really stepped up their game. I think the new-ish editor has thoings well in hand. I like the interview format as well.

misswaiz said...

"David Weeks vs. Serge Mouille?!?" My choice definitely goes for Serge Mouille...

jp said...

Hi Katie,
I read your entire blog "David Weeks vs. Serge Mouille" and your input is very interesting. However, I need to bring a correction as to who is representing the Mouille licensed re-edition in the USA. "Inside Modern Living" represents the re-edition in Canada only. The USA is being covered by GUERIDON, a New York based store selling European mid-century furniture. Gin Mouille contracted GUERIDON to be both her representative and distributor for the USA. I think it would be nice if you could redirect your link to www.gueridon.com.
I will leave the debate of David Weeks vs. Serge Mouille open. Representing the Mouille lighting collection, my input would not be partial of course. Even though David Weeks admitted to me of being “very inspired” by the Serge Mouille lamps, he still designed lamps of his own without copying them.
Congratulations for your blog, it brings an interesting comparison between the lamps I had never seen before.
Jean-Philippe

Nathalie said...

Great post!
I really enjoy visual inspiration like the one in this peaces!!
This work remembers me the brand Delightfull, I discovered it, while I was seeing some blogs, You Will Enjoy it to!
Delightfull is a brand taht makes the perfect mix between 40’s, 50’s and 60’s music legacy and lighting pieces!
Visit www.delightfull.eu or www.youtube.com/DelightfullLighting and by the way visit also www.bocadolobo.com. They have beautiful luxury timeless pieces!
I really enjoyed your blog.
I’ll come back to see what you post next!

Moemoeche said...

I am trying to find out what a david weeks lamp would cost , for serge mouille reeditions this is easy , for weeks it is a mystery

katiedid said...

Moemoeche, if you can get on to the David Weeks website, there is a "dealer" page where you can get info on pricing from a dealer nearest to you. Good luck! They are fabulous!

Moemoeche said...

Dear Katie

Not really working out.
I'm living in Europe (Belgium) I am doing a beachhouse in Belize (double height living room) where I want to use the 405 light fixture (3 levels). As I am in the planning and design stage what I am interested in is a ballpark price to see if it would be be a possibility budgetwise. Volume of sales in Europe of David Weeks appears to be low and his UK and France dealers are not able to come up with much (pricing)info on this model. In Central America David Weeks appears not to have any dealers. Any suggestions ?

katiedid said...

Moemoeche, I contacted Ralph Pucci in LA and they said they would be happy to help you. They have clients all over the globe. They represent David Weeks directly. Here is who to contact:
robyn@ralphpucci.com

They will need all of your company and contact information. I hope this helps!

Best of luck, and maybe you will let me blog about the project when you are finished?

moemoeche said...

Katie Thxs for your help
I actually got a reply from David Weeks and a price. Strangely enough DW is apparently more expensive than Mouille. Add to that the 75% import duties that are imposed on most things you import into Belize and budget wise D Weeks is of the drawing board (and so is Serge M. probably). I have just come back from Belize and there is also good news for interior designers. I went to lumber mills to pick tropical hardwoods and they can be had there for a fraction of the costs you pay in the US or in Europe. Local craftsmanship is also amazing. Most things you design (metalwork & woodwork) can be made locally for again the proverbial pennies & dimes rather than dollars. Using wood veneer is actually more expensive than using full wood. So you can go overboard with custom cabinettery & custom design furniture. Right now I am in the middle of changing my approach to lights in this projects, picking the colors and the art (client has a nice art collection so that is always fun) and the upholstery materials. House design & Interior design are here being done in one go, in the spirit of creating a Gesamtkunstwerk. Only when all and everything is designed specified & decided will the building begin.