Friday, August 10, 2007

Richard Mishaan and Tony Duquette



When the estate of Tony Duquette, fabled designer of Hollywood homes, came up for sale after his death in 1999, Richard Mishaan snapped up some amazing pieces for his own Hamptons retreat. Richard Mishaan, architect, fashion designer, now interior designer, is one of the top in the field. At first glance, the house seems to be very grand and formal. But then the fun comes in when one realizes that the Duquette console and mirror in the Dining Room had the glass appliqued on with a glue gun. And the "ivory" pagodas are made of resin. Tony Duquette was certainly known for his theatricality, and he certainly used his tricks of the trade when creating these pieces!

House and Garden, August 2004, Photos by Fernando Bengoechea

The "coral" in this chandelier, also by Duquette, was made using sticks and red paint. Some of you may be thinking about your next DIY project about now perhaps? I must say that this dining room has been in my inspiration file for a few years now, and I find it very fresh and current. I think Mr. Mishaan shows his genius at combining seemingly disparate elements in this elegant, yet approachable space. The more serious tradition of the the window, cupboard and flooring are suddenly transformed by the white lacquer table and contemporary chairs into a friendly, fun, space that is certainly more usable than your typical formal Dining Room.

Tony Duquette is one of the most fascinating designers that has ever graced a magazine page. Many have called him theatrical, over the top, and eccentric. His ideas have been an inspiration to many designers who have followed. I wanted to let you all know about the soon-to-be-released book that is a must have for anyone interested in Mr. Duquette and design history. I have preordered mine through Amazon:


"Book Description: American artist and design legend Tony Duquette (1914–1999) was known for his over-the-top style in interiors, jewelry, costumes, and set design. His clients included Elizabeth Arden, the Duchess of Windsor, and Herb Albert. The multi-talented Duquette designed sets for MGM musicals with Arthur Freed and Vincente Minnelli, and designed Tony Award–winning costumes for the original Broadway production of “Camelot.” Duquette was the first American to exhibit a one-man show at the Louvre in Paris. Tony Duquette is a lavishly illustrated book with many lost and never-before published photographs from the Duquette archives, including portraits and pictures taken by Man Ray, John Engstead, Fredrich Dapriche, Andre Ostier, George Platt Lynnes, as well as original sketches, designs, and texts by Duquette himself. With commentary, interviews, stories, and contributions from Liza Minnelli, Arlene Dahl, Steven Meisel, Bruce Weber, and others. " as quoted from Amazon

22 comments:

the House of Beauty and Culture said...

About bloody time too - sometimes felt as if I was the only person who adored his work, let alone knew who he was.

katiedid said...

Hello HoBC!
You are not alone. I find him fascinating and wish I had been there at the sale of his estate! What a bounty of fabulous stuff it must have been.

Brilliant Asylum said...

Love these photos. Thanks for adding me to your link list. I have done the same.
: )

katiedid said...

Hi Brilliant!
Thanks for stopping in! Glad you enjoyed and thanks, too, for the link!

Cote de Texas said...

Katie, I wonder if those diy items look like it close up? I wonder if they look cheap or homemade? Just wondering. What do you think?
I mean, I use a glue gun and it always, always looks like sh**.


Joni

katiedid said...

Hi Joni!
Somehow I those Duquette items look alot better than anything I might do! Pretty pofessional I'd say.
Glad you are back :)

ALL THE BEST said...

Thanks for the update. So many books, so little time!!!

style court said...

I have this one on my wishlist too. Thanks for sharing this spread from H &G -- I agree about the white table!

katiedid said...

Hi Ronda!
I know!:0

Hi Courtney!
I think the white table makes it!

Fairfax said...

In a recent magazine i saw, maybe MSL, they had twigs painted to look like coral. With real coral being so endangered, maybe this is a good idea.

Cote de Texas said...

K: Ok, so I have nothing to do and just read your entire blog. You said you and your husband are in the design field. What does he do? just being overly nosey as usual.


Joni

katiedid said...

Hi Joni!
Really? The entire thing? I hope you found it brilliant! (haha).

My husband is a Partner/Director of Planning for an Engineering Firm. He designs communities here and abroad. He is also talented at landscape design and fine art. He just built a beautiful deck off the back of our house over the last two weekends. So all and all a pretty handy guy to have around!(Can you tell I'm just a little proud of him?!?)

katiedid said...

Hello Fairfax! I think you are right on wit this idea!:)

Mélanie said...

Katie , your blog is for me such a source of ispiration . I'm adding your blog too.
I love it.
mélanie

katiedid said...

Hi Melanie!
Thank you for the kind words and the link! :)

girl meets glamour said...

Oh, what a great post Katie!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful work :)

~Kate

katiedid said...

Hi Kate! Your welcome:)

robyn said...

Wow, looks a great book to read. Thanks for introducing me to this. :)

edgar and edgar said...

Lovely Post!!!

Kimberlee

dianamuse said...

I'm so happy that I fell into your blog today and spotted this book (I pre-ordered a copy a few days ago--I tend towards the lavish, luxe and layered in my design tastes). The anecdotes you offered are great. And I see that we have other books in common as well. I'll DEFINITELY come back for frequent visits...

katiedid said...

Hello robyn, Kimberlee and Dianamuse! Thank you all so much for visiting! I love seeing new bloggers that I haven't seen before. I am glad you liked the post and I will be visiting you all at your blogs! :)

Gaj said...

Duquette, the one and only. Thanks for that memo!