Friday, October 5, 2007

Getting a Handle on Things

Well the kitchen is getting closer. Thought I would show you some of the "jewelry" I have been adding:

I had seen handles like this in a Thomas O'Brien kitchen and I had to have them, no matter the cost. I could not find the source for these beauties anywhere, so I went ahead and called Thomas O'Brien's office and they could not have been nicer! They informed me the handles were from Forms and Surfaces. They were perfect. They were also over $25 a knob. But I was willing to go there because they were "it"! I am happy that Domino Magazine reprinted the Thomas O'Brien kitchen in their November issue because I had lost the original picture:

This kitchen has been one of the inspirations for my own. I like everything about it: the stainless steel table, the mirrored backsplash, the glass cabinets....and the hardware.

Well, I added up how many knobs I needed and....well, was a little concerned. Sadly, I am not one who should really go around spending thousands of dollars on cabinet hardware. So I thought I should make one more attempt to find an alternative. Lo and behold, I found the handle you see on my cabinets in the photo at the top. I ordered a sample and it was beautiful and definitely close enough! It is from Hickory Hardware, and I am relieved to say is only $5.25.



These are the knobs I put on my Butler's Pantry cabinets. A little more formal and perfect for my 1911 house. They are from Restoration Hardware and very nice quality. I'm very happy with them!

And the knobs for my Powder Room are from Anthropologie at $6.00 each. They have such wonderful knobs! And many of the options are online.

To update on the kitchen, appliances have been installed and finished plumbing and lighting fixtures are going in this week. We are getting close. I have informed my contractor that we are having a Halloween party, so he had better get his A@# in gear and finish or ELSE! (I won't even bore you with that whole story...well maybe one day when I am moved in and can gain some perspective.)

Stay Tuned!

32 comments:

Brilliant Asylum said...

That is great news. Can't wait to see the finished product. I would love to have a new kitchen!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I am going to LOVE your kitchen. I have the same glass knobs from Restoration hardware for my glass cabinets. Excellent taste! I love them! I had the same difficulty with finding reasonably affordable hardware, but ended up buying most of mine (black iron) at Rejuvenation Hardware.

Our kitchen took FOREVER to do, so I can feel your pain! :-)

xo,
Melissa

katiedid said...

Hi Brilliant! It has been a long time coming let me tell ya!

katiedid said...

Hi Melissa!
I have bought alot of my door hardware from Rejuvination. Great place!

beachbungalow8 said...

i love rejuvination too. your kitchen is going to be gorgeous. can't wait to see it all together! i have total kitchen envy (some day, some day)

Anonymous said...

Hi...your kitchen is looking so great! It must be exciting to see it really coming together after all the planning and time that goes into a project like this! May I ask what kind of marble you used for your countertops? (It's so pretty... I love all the veining!)

Cote de Texas said...

Looking good and can't wait wait until the end! Hurry!!!:)


Joni

Style Court said...

So resourceful Katie! Everything is looking beautiful.

katiedid said...

Hi all!
I am in the home stretch.
Hello anon! The marble is white Carrara. I was lucky finding the pieces because alot of Carrara is very grey these days.

Robin Ferrier said...

Hi Katie, I love your taste. Our kitchen is going to be very similar! Love those knobs!

Splaneyo said...

I love your selections.
Heather

girl meets glamour said...

I love those handles you picked out! Thanks for the update :)

~Kate

annechovie said...

Katie, those Carrara marble countertops are THE tops!Such a refreshing alternative to over-used and over-rated granite. So classic! They look gorgeous with your cabinetry and I, like everyone else, can't wait to see the whole thing unveiled!

Me, Myself, & I said...

I envy the Carrara marble tops. Your design is so classic and timeless. I love it.

Jackie Von Tobel said...

Your knobs look great. No one will know they are not the originals you were contemplating. Knobs do make the cabinet though!

Suzy said...

The handles are lovely, very simple but they look fantastic with the cabinets and the marble top. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Anna said...

Katie - I LOVE the handles and the little sneak peak photo is so exciting - I really can't wait to see the pics of it all finished! I have just bought an old 1930's art deco house and I am going to have a kitchen built just like this for my new house - won't be able to start it until we do the reno's mid to late next year though!!
XO
Anna

katiedid said...

Hi Robin!
Thanks for the visit! Can't wait to see your kitchen!

katiedid said...

Hi all!
And thank you for all of your comments. This really has been labor of love. Narrowing down all of the choices has been quite a harrowing experience, because this is going to be our "forever" house....well at least until the kids a re grown and gone. It is hard to imagine not being able to change things if I get tired of them. So I have been very careful to pick things I think I will never grow tired of. The backsplash is also the white marble. I figured that a tile would date itself at some point (but I do love a good white subway tile!)

Anyway-
Thank you all for your support. It really makes this process so much more fun!

katiedid said...

Oh Anna! I am so happy we get to see another one of your fabulous transformations! I know it will be fantastic as usual. Our "old" house was a 1930's "Tudor". I love a good old house.:)

Mrs. Blandings said...

The pulls look a lot like the one in the Paltrow kitchen, too, I think. They are lovely. Always a good idea to look around. You are such a tease - we can't wait to see the whole room!

mrsplainjane said...

so so exciting!! I just love seeing all the progress. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Katiedid! One question about your countertops: did you do a double layer of the marble to get the thickness you wanted? I was wondering because I am getting ready to do a kitchen reno and a lot of the slabs I've seen are only 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Congratulations on being in the home stretch!

circuitmouse said...

Boy, was this fun! I don't wanna go back to the 'real' world just yet...

I'm sure by now you've heard of the Orange County Museum of Art's new exhibit, "Birth of the Cool: California Art, Design, and Culture at Midcentury" [http://www.ocma.net].

katiedid said...

Hi Anon! Thanks for the visit. And Yes the slabs were 3/4" thick. There is a laminated edge making them 1 1/2" thick. My fabricator did a great job matching the veining.:)

katiedid said...

Well hello circuitmouse! Thanks for the visit! I had fun visitng your blog. We have lived in many of the same places. And I am happy to spread the word about the exhibit. I will try to post tonight!

robyn said...

Oh they're perfect, handles really dress a cabinet, thanks for sharing.

Bhavna said...

Ooooo....I am so happy and excited for you Katie! :-)

What is the first thing you will cook or bake in your new kitchen? :)

ALL THE BEST said...

thanks for the sneak peek! can't wait to see the end result!!

Katy said...

Check out Thomas O'Brien NY apartment on House & Garden's website.

http://www.houseandgarden.com/magazine/interiors/interiors_obrien

sheila said...

Hi Katy, What a great inspiration your design has been, especially the kitchen! Can I ask if your cabinet handles are bright polished nickel or the satin nickel finish? You hit the nail on the head trying for a timeless classic look- here it is almost 4+ years later and you've got people using your kitchen as an inspiration! Congrats!
All the Best, Sheila

katiedid said...

Hi Sheila!
Thanks for reading!
The handles are polished nickel (or chrome!) I can't remember now....but they are polished.:)
Hope you are having fun with your own kitchen!
Cheers.