Monday, October 29, 2007

I'm BAAAAaaaack! The Halloween Party, The Fall Benefit and the Big Fat Remodel. A Cautionary Tale.

Once upon a time, there was a woman who was very young at heart and naively thought that she could do anything she set her mind to ( if she was organized enough and had the proper support staff). She had a very full life with a husband and two daughters and an Australian Shepherd named Cooper and her design career, all of which she managed pretty well. So the woman thought it might be fun to co-chair the decoration committee for a benefit for 650 people scheduled for October.


October rolled around and she realized she needed to plan the Halloween Party for her 12 year old daughter which had been promised ever since her older sister had a party when she was 12. Well, one couldn't have a party unless one was moved into the semi-finished remodel of one's new kitchen and basement studio, now could one? So the big push to move in was begun.

Meanwhile, the woman's husband scheduled a business trip to Moscow and St. Petersburg for a week and a half....... That's when the nightmares began. The woman would wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat asking herself "What have I done?!? I have over committed, and I will never get it all done!" Details would race through her mind day and night: " Have I bought enough gold leafy things for the decorations? Do we have black sprinkles for the cookies? Do we have enough white spider web stuff? Who is ordering the chair ties and the VIP gifts for the benefit? What is the phone number for the hotel in Moscow? How can we fit the extra ten seats in the new restaurant design for the upcoming Team Meeting? How will I get this daughter to violin while that daughter gets to soccer practice? Why is the powder room sink leaking?". The lists went on and on.

The woman was one step away from stepping into the static on the television screen......

Well, with alot of help, the woman managed to get through the stressful weeks and has lived to tell the tale. Here are a few images to show you all a glimmer of what has been happening over the last two weeks:

The tent for the Silent Auction and Wine Tasting part of the Fall Benefit for my daughter's High School known as "Revelry".

Some examples of the decorations. The theme was "Starry, Starry Night". Very original, I know. But one must work with what one is given, mustn't one?

Table decor and flowers for the "sit down dinner" part of the event.

After the mad rush to finish the decorations for the benefit, I raced home to decorate the house for the Halloween party:

A few tombstones and pumpkins. (The tombstones were made from the Styrofoam in the box that my new West Elm Parsons table came in. We just got through putting the table together in time for the party.)

My daughter picked the perfect party planning paper: Hello Kitty.



Now I ask you, what Halloween party would be complete without Jone's Candy Corn Soda and lots of cookies with black and grey frosting? ( Small shudder here.)

Halloween slipcovers, perfect for protecting furniture from Sprite and Rainbow Sherbet punch spills. (Photo from my as yet unfinished office/studio space.)

Pumpkin carving contest. Not real sure what some of these masterpieces are all about.

Here are a few of the fab party guests!

OK....I know you have been waiting for a peek at the the remodeling progress, so I will not keep you in suspense. Although not complete ( no furniture, accessories, etc.) here are a few pics of the kitchen:



Sorry about the picture quality!

We are partially moved in, at least enough to forgo the paper plates and cups! It is almost surreal to be able to use a real stove and dishwasher again!

So this post is my "Ode" to Decorno's "Original Content" plea. Now that things have calmed down a bit, I will be back to regular postings. Thanks to all of you who have patiently hung in there with me!

AND HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

41 comments:

Leah said...

Wow -- everything looks amazing!

Kudos to you for pulling it all off without having a nervous breakdown.

;-)

Leah

the House of Beauty and Culture said...

I knew it would all be worth it in the end! Congrats!

Another Shade of Grey said...

Gorgeous. You lucky thing. I'm jealous. :)

Arch at Rang said...

OMG- The kitchen looks fabulous...love the white!

Congrats!
Happy Halloween!

katiedid said...

Hi all!
Thanks! It has been quite a couple of weeks. The best thing is to be in the new kitchen. We have been having so much fun breaking it in! Thanks for not forgettting about me! I was a little nervous about being away so long. I will visit you all this week!

Anonymous said...

Hello!

Beautiful kitchen :)

Jane said...

The kitchen looks great! Can you show more exterior pics of your home? Just a wish :-)

mrsplainjane said...

Gorgeous Katie! You have been SO busy, my word. Hope you get to sit back and enjoy all your hard work for a bit. The kitchen is beautitful!!

melissa @ the inspired room said...

Oh my gosh! First of all, your life sounds so much like mine I could cry for you, if I wasn't laughing and cheering for you all at the same time!

Secondly, your parties look wonderful. You D-I-D it!

Last, but not least, your kitchen is AMAZING! AMAZING! D-I-D I say AMAZING?

I love it. Love it! Can't wait to see more.

Glad you are back!

Melissa

Mrs. Blandings said...

Katie - I do things like this, too. "Yes, I think I can do that." "Yes, that won't be a problem." "Oh, it won't take any time at all." And all true, if things were happening one at a time. But they don't. They happen all at once. I keep thinking I'm learning this lesson. You have pulled everything off beautifully. The fundraiser was beautiful. The Halloween party looked like it satisfied the very pickiest of audiences. And the kitchen. You saved the best for last. It's a beauty. Pop open the wine and celebrate. And repeat after me, "I'd love to really, but I couldn't possibly just now."

Habitually Chic said...

I LOVE everything! You are so creative! The party looked like fun and the kitchen is perfection! Congrats to you for surviving it all with style and grace!

robyn said...

Love it! Now I know I'm not the only insane, Mom/designer who over commits... looks as though it all turned out beautifully :)

Apryll Annie said...

The kitchen is stunning! Great work!

annechovie said...

Well, Katie-DID-IT!!! Sorry, couldn't resist the cheesy pun. Wow, great job on the benefit, the party ANNNNND the kitchen.The kitchen looks smashing! Very classy and everything you chose looks stunning. My kind of kitchen, for certain. We missed you and glad you are back again!

Cote de Texas said...

Katie - omg, it's gorgeous, I'm green with envy, green!!!! those transoms! and the island, and the stove hood - just wonderful. you did such a fabulous job and I love those shelves to the left of the sink and the beadboard!!! I want this kitchen, exactly! Just wonderful. I won't even comment on all your craziness because I can't get over this. It's just great. I would copy this exactly - the transoms just make the whole kitchen. omg, it's perfection!!!!
green green green, I tell you I'm elphaba!!!

Joni

pvedesign said...

Yes, it really does take a "Woman" to get the job done... Look in the mirror and repeat after me.
NO! Why, why is the word No so terribly hard to say! Bravo, all the jobs well done and the kitchen was work the wait!

Jackie Von Tobel said...

Why do we always do this to ourselves?? I am constantly over committed but somehow you pull it off as you are saying to yourself - I Will Never Do That Again!! Of course you do!!! All of your events looked great and the kitchen is a stunner. Your hard work is paying off. Just remember to make some time for yourself.

katiedid said...

Thank you all for your very kind comments! I can hardly wait to get everything all buttoned up.
It sounds like many of us do have a habit of taking on a little too much sometimes. It feels like too much during the process, but afterwards you sort of forget the pain and relish the results....perhaps it's in the DNA..like childbirth.

Thank you everyone for visiting!:)

vineeta said...

This is inspirational!! You clearly fally into the category people call 'SuperMoms'.
I really liked the gold leaf decoration & the halloween dual purpose slipcovers & the cookies with the blak and grey icing really cracked me up :)

And I love the super white gleaming kitchen!

dianamuse said...

Breathless. Awestruck. Speechless (nearly). Everything done brilliantly (I luv the apothecary shot and the tombstones - and all those adorable trick-or-treaters).

And now you have your spectacular kitchen to enjoy in all the years to come. Amazing.

katiedid said...

Thanks for the visit Vineeta and Diana! I did have alot of fun along the way.If I could learn to spread it out a little it would be great!:)

susan said...

You know, I say this every time I have projects that seem overwhelming. "Somehow, this will get done. I have no idea how, and I'm not going to figure it out, but I know it will get done!" It always does. What huge things you've had on your plate!

And the kitchen! It's gorgeous. You must be so thrilled. What a job you did!

Porcelain said...

The kitchen look fantastic!!!! I'm drooling over all the marble!

Hopefully life will calm down a bit and you can enjoy this gorgeous space.

{this is glamorous} said...

Welcome back, Katie! Not only did you manage to pull everything off, but it looks like you did it beautifully. And your kitchen is perfect. Loved every single little detail!

Robin Ferrier said...

Katie, Love the kitchen! OMG the cabinets, lighting, open shelves... Love it all! And the party, better yet parties! You are a way cool mom and even cooler event planner! I want a Halloween party! Great job on making it all work!

patricia gray said...

You are wonder woman, super star. You pulled it all off and so very chicly. I love your new kitchen. WELL DONE!!

ALL THE BEST said...

FANTASTIC!!!!! I love you kitchen, lucky girl! Great job!

Calie Anderson, C.I.D. said...

Hi Katie, What a lovely blog you have. So glad I found it, I'll have to add you to my sites to read. BTW, your kitchen looks beautiful.

:-) Calie

Jennifer said...

Hi Katie. Love your blog and now you're back, it's on my list of to reads. You are definitely one amazing mom, multitasker extrodinaire, and I LOVE the kitchen!

katiedid said...

Thank you all so much!
Patricia, look forward to pics of your place soon! :)
Thanks for the visit Calie and Jennifer. I will be visiting your blogs!
Hi Robin! Hope you are great! Looking forward to your house plans!

Thanks to everyone for the very kind comments, and I will visit asap!

Neutral Dwelling said...

Everything looks like it turned out marvelous. A woman can do what she sets her mind to!

halcyon said...

Katie, that is the MOST beautiful kitchen I have ever seen. I can't even imagine what fun it would be to cook in this classic kitchen. It reminds me of a kitchen in 1920s Manhattan. Perfection.

katiedid said...

Hello Neutral and Halcyon!
Thanks for the visit and the kind words! It was definitely a labor of love and we are having a blast cooking up a storm!

Amber said...

Absolutely stunning space! Perfection!

Lisa said...

I have not read all the other post but I'm sure they are all the same. This is stunning...just stunning. I'm sure you will be having magazine people calling you soon. Pefection really!

girl meets glamour said...

I love everything about your kitchen Katie!!!!! I am so glad you are through the rough part and now you can kick back and enjoy some cooking with the kids :)

~Kate

Splaneyo said...

Wow, what a fantastic kitchen - well worth the wait!
Heather

Bhavna said...

Katie, I bet you must have worn the 'super woman' costume for Halloween this time :-)

The kitchen looks delicious....congratulations!

Style Court said...

Katie, congrats on everything. The kitchen is wonderful. (I love how you made the tombstones from West Elm packing!!)

gigi mckean said...

beautiful kitchen !!

Brilliant Asylum said...

Congratulations--you ARE superwoman! The kitchen is drop-dead gorgeous and so are your parties. I hope you can relax a bit for the next set of holidays.