Friday, February 29, 2008

Black and White: Done Right!

Thankyou to the Washington Post for including this post in your Blog Watch, March 6, 2008!
There is a lot of black and white being strewn about in the name of new and trendy design. It's fun, it's fresh. But I have been seeing some really classic interiors that have some real staying power and sophistication, while also being very modern and unique. I wanted to draw a little more attention to these.

Metropolitan Home March 2008, Photo by Colleen Duffley

This entry hall by designer Jill Van Tosh combines traditional architecture with contemporary art: painting by Todd Murphy through Lowe Gallery. By combining the modern and traditional elements in this space, the designer has really made it so much more interesting. "Stunning" is word that comes to mind.

Metropolitan Home March 2008, Photo by Colleen Duffley

Ms. Van Tosh continues with the black and white scheme in the Living Room. Ebonized oak floors contrast with white walls and furniture showing off the architectural details. I love how she uses the flea market-find porcelain dogs in contrast with the Xavier Lust white lacquered bench ((MDF Italia). The dogs would seem trite in an interior that was too Hollywood Regency, but here mixed with the other high style furnishings, she really pulls it off. Sofas are by Christian Liagre for Holly Hunt.

Metropolitan Home March 2008, Photo by Colleen Duffley

This image is from the guest room. You can catch a glimpse of the Eames chaise, and when mixed with the red Swedish style clock and a photograph of Audrey Hepburn, this clever combo really works!

O at Home, Spring 2008, photo by Roger Davies

This Dining Room is the handy work of Mindy Weiss, event planner to the stars (Gwen Stefani, Quincy Jones, Heidi Klum and Brooke Shields to name a few!) A Flea Market collector, she has a knack for putting it all together with alot of style. I love her black and white scheme with punches of blue from her collection of Chinese blueware. She inherited the Dining table from her mother, as well as the sideboard. Again, mixing old and new is what it is all about for me! Thomas Paul rug and wall color is Field Gray # 32-19 from Pratt and Lambert. Elkins Dining Chairs from Grace Home Collection.

Southern Accents March April 2008, Photo by William Waldron

Designer Betty Burgess, who previously worked with Dan Carithers, creates a soothing retreat in this guest bedroom. The black and white is warmed up with a seagrass rug. I am a white linen girl, so this room would make me feel right at home. The wool blanket at the end of the bed adds that tiny bit of the unexpected, which is something I always appreciate.

In Style Magazine, March 2008, Photo by Oberto Gili

Don't you always want to catch a glimpse of the private spaces of trend setters? This Black and White Dining Room belongs to the creative director of Gucci, Frida Giannini. Don't you just adore the Murano Glass Chandelier? The table and chairs are Parisian Art Deco. The embodiment of style...and one would expect no less from this style maker.

In Style Magazine, March 2008, Photo by Oberto Gilli

This is Frida's Black and White Master Bathroom. Again, a style victory with it's custom Boffi tub out of Corian with a backdrop of black marble. Brilliant!

I first saw this table in the March issue of Elle Decor Magazine on the Insider Trading page. So I scurried on over to the Ralph Pucci website and found this stunning photo of the Mondrian Cocktail Table by Herve Van der Straeten. (Find out more about the fascinating Mr. Herve Van der Straeten in a great post by Habitually Chic here). Not only is this table a piece of art, but it is shown in a black and white space that does it justice. The table is made with a parchment top inlaid with bronze. Beautiful!




I originally saw this black and white lacquer chest on Turquoise Chic blog. It is from 1st dibs and going for $5200. I had to go check out the details on 1st dibs because I just thought maybe there is some way I can get my hands on it. And because you just never know when $5200 might just fall into your lap. With just a little nosing around, I found this picture of the chest in a room (showroom?). It does start to give one ideas!

Here is a close-up. I may have to pillage the kids' college fund.

So, one might wonder how to get started creating a little black and white heaven of one's own. I'm here to help. A little shopping perhaps? Some fun finds that may help you on your way:

Designer's Guild now has a webshop where you can find these beautiful black and white bed linens: theTullgarn Queen Duvet Cover runs around $225.00.

Everyone has probably heard of Seacloth fabrics, but did you know they also sell a wonderful line of accessories online? These black and white bangles go for $70.00 and $150.00

I found these on the Toast and Tables blog, and if you have not visited, by all means do! She is the "It" girl if you need anything for entertaining. These black and white babies are from Neiman Marcus. (Catch them through Toast and Tables. A twenty piece set for $120.00! Unbelievable!)

These Mark Cutler Table Skirts are really just so much fun! Seen on Black White Bliss blog, I added these for you Joni!

Also as seen on Black White Bliss blog, I leave you with the latest Jonathan Adler Wallpaper collection. Please do go have a look-see at all of the colors and patterns available.

For more Black and White design and inspiration, please don't miss Black White Bliss! She is the expert on this classic color combo. She has many more ideas to get you going.

36 comments:

hazel said...

Every single photo is gorgeous! There is nothing better than black and white! Beautiful blog, a new favorite!

Neutral Dwelling said...

I certainly enjoyed the post! I liked all of the rooms but I really liked the foyer at the very beginning of the post!

SimplyGrove said...

Great Post!! I love black and white and black and white that is done right!

katiedid said...

Hi Hazel! Thanks so much for the visit! I am so glad you enjoyed it. Hey everyone! Please take a moment and check out hazel's blog. She is a wonderful artist!

katiedid said...

Hi Neutral. I think that is my favorite too. Classic black and white checkerborad floor with modern art is a great combo I think.

katiedid said...

Hi SG!
Glad you enjoyed it! And thanks for the visit.:)

Brilliant Asylum said...

Jill Van Tosh is one of Atlanta's true Avant Garde designers. I am glad you featured her-- and with a fantastic piece by Todd Murphy. I love how his images float forward from the mysterious black depths.

katiedid said...

Hello Brilliant!
Jill has really caught my attention. I will be looking ofr her in future publications. I am truly impressed!

pve design said...

There is something about living in black and white that looks so clean, twisted and fresh. Fabulous post!
Leave it to you to be so bold.

Off The Cuff said...

Just stopped by via Easy and Elegant life and wanted to let know what a wonderful blog you have. Back in my younger days I worked for Terence Conran in his first stateside incarnation - Conran's Habitat.

Ever since, I've had the dueling interests of interior design and menswear. Luckily my wife has great taste and probably a better eye than me for what I should put on in the morning.

JLC Studio said...

Great post!! I love all the photos you found from different magazines!! Very nice...

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Love the drama of a b&w photograph, entry way, master bath, and table... very chic and always elegant.

katiedid said...

Hi PAtricia! Thanks for the visit! I do love a little B&W!

katiedid said...

Hello Off the Cuff! I'm sure you are quite dashing! I love Conran's, and I hope it was as fun to work there as I imagine. I will hope to see you again! Thanks so much for the visit and kind words.:)

katiedid said...

Hello jlc! I am so glad you liked it! AND I went over to see where you worked. Very nice indeed! I am glad you liked the mirrors too.:)

katiedid said...

Hi Easy and Elegant! You picked my favorite photos! The entry and Bathroom are too wonderful.

Anonymous said...

16 comments, 8 of which are yours. Good way to get those numbers up.

Mélanie said...

Even , if it is a little bit late . I'm going to make a link form my post to yours , it is such a source of inspiration.

M.KATE said...

BEAUTIFUL, tks for sharing

LondonCalling said...

That entry is spectacular! The art, the tile. B&W is a favorite. Thanks for the great post.

katiedid said...

Well hello Anonymous! Wow, a visit from you must mean I've really hit the "big time"! It sounds like you are very familiar with what "numbers" are, so I must presume that you have your own blog and are very concerned about your own numbers. Maybe you could enlighten those of us that are less concerned about it exactly how replying to comments can affect one's "numbers"? Personally, I have always liked it when another blogger takes the time and is kind enough to reply to my comments. So I like to do the same thing. Forgive my ignorance, but doesn't a visit to one's own blog to read comments affect one's "numbers" by the same amount as actually replying to that coment? Perhaps I have got it wrong. Could you please elaborate?

katiedid said...

Hi Melanie! Thanks so much for the link! You inspire me so much with your beautiful posts.

katiedid said...

Hi mkate and london!
Thanks for the visit and glad you enjoyed!

franki durbin said...

WOW! I have 'post envy' LOL. You've done such an amazing job of researching.

What's interesting is how timeless all of these elements and rooms are. I always get a kick out of reading headlines that scream 'Spring's New Color Palette: Black & White!" in magazines and the like. B&W never ever goes out of style. It's all in the details.

very well put together post, honey!

katiedid said...

Thanks franki! You make my day. :)

Alkemie said...

Katie, this is such a brilliant post! I love black and white - it's so classic. And you've chosen some knock out examples!

Karen

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Katie,
I'm glad you posted this because I get a bit bothered sometimes by folks who claim something classic is too "trendy". You are right, done right B&W is very classic and I love it.
This was such a great, detailed post! I love all the visuals!
Happy Day!
Melissa

House & Life said...

What a beautiful blog and congratulations on the WP mention! I'll be checking back often.

Things That Inspire said...

Wonderful post! Generally, I do not use much black in my decor, although I have a great admiration for those rooms that can strike a balance between the light and the dark. I have certainly read the rule of thumb that every room should have at least one thing that is black!

Todd Murphy is a very unique artist who lives in Atlanta. He is no longer represented by the Lowe Gallery; as I understand it,he now represents himself because he can sell everything he creates without having the pay a gallery 50%.

acaligurl said...

wonderful post.
now that is an entry way! black & white and elegant.

{this is glamorous} said...

Katie, this is such a beautiful post! I love the entryway (with the stunning artwork), and of course, the bedroom from Southern Accents. Also, congratulations on your mention in the Washington Post!

katiedid said...

Hello Alkemie and Melissa! Thanks for the visit. It was a fun post to do, especially with the inspiration from these photos!

katiedid said...

Hello Alkemie and Melissa! Thanks for the visit. It was a fun post to do, especially with the inspiration from these photos!

katiedid said...

Thanks for the visit H&L! Glad you enjoyed and I will hop on over for a visit to your blog also! :)

katiedid said...

Hi TTI! Thank you for the info on Todd Murphy. I got the link from the article but when I went to see more of his art on their site I couldn't find it. He is really wonderful, so I will try to find a better link to find his work Thanks again! :)

katiedid said...

Thanks for the visit acaligurl and TTI! Black and white is a classic when done right.:)