Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Cabo Beach House and Environment Furniture

Living Room: Malena Armchair, DWR; Coffee tables, Viva Terra; Lamps, Arteriors Home

I am working on the design of a beach house in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico right now. My clients are an energetic couple with a family who are looking for a warm contemporary home where they don't have to worry about sandy feet. Unique design with very little hassle were the criteria. These are the sample inspiration boards for the project.

The main materials consist of natural concrete floors and rustic walnut cabinetry. The Capiz shell light fixtures, mosaic tiles and rough wood provide texture and contrast with other clean contemporary furnishings for a balanced and casual design. The plan is to add accent furniture, accessories and art from local artisans.

Dining Room and Powder Room: Live Edge Walnut Dining Table, Hudson Furniture; Panton Dining Chair; Capiz Shell Dining Room Pendent, Oly Studio; Lotus Pendant for Powder Room, Roost, Powder Room LuLu faucet, Dornbracht; Orbit Mosaic tile for Powder Room, Walker Zanger.

Kitchen and Bar Area: Heath Ceramic Tile, Ann Sacks; Ceasarstone counters; Meri Drum Chandelier, Oly Studio; Faucet by Blanco

Master Bedroom and Master Bath: Bed by Hudson Furniture; Tolemeo light fixture by Artimede; Womb Chair by Eero Saarinen; Toilet by Toto; Sink by Wetstyle; Skyline Glass Tile by Walker Zanger

Secondary Bedrooms: Headboards by West Elm; Lamps by Arteriors Home; Chest by Environment Furniture; Bertoia Chair available through DWR; Glass Tile by Akdo.

Many of the things I have chosen for this beach house are classics. I wanted to introduce a line of furniture that could be known for the classics of the future: Environment Furniture. Their mission statement says it all:

Environment Furniture strives to create beautiful furniture that balances innovation and sustainability and to work in ways that value humanity and the environment now and in the future.

Here are a few pieces from their beautiful line:



Gazebo Bed

Strip Dresser

Parati Buffet

Campinas Console Table

If you have a moment, hop on over the their website. There are many more fabulous earth friendly peices to see. I hope you enjoy!

26 comments:

Beautiful Living said...

It's great to see how you work with inspiration boards. The lamps you've chosen for the dining room are amazing. I've been looking for a capiz shell lamp for my hall actually. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

I love seeing examples of your work. I love everything. I want everything on those mood boards especially all of the tiles you have picked out and that capiz lighting fixture is amazing.

I also love the couple wants to be green and environmental. I want to vaca with them in CABO!

NaMiDani said...

cool you are genious. Where the inspiration come from?

Kristen said...

Well-being a "fabric" person-love your choices
Kristen

Callie Grayson said...

great inspiration boards! what fun you are having working on a residence in Mexico fun fun fun!!!!
great post!

Suzy said...

I love that furniture line, and it just might work for a project I'm working on right now too. Thanks!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I adore the green Akdo tiles!
I'm off to check out Environment Furniture now. Love their mission statement!

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Love those inspiration boards...love that they can touch and feel some of the stuff! I have always secretly wanted someone to do one for me!

Great choices...it will be stunning!!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Katie - while I will check the site, the star of this post is clearly your work. I was so worried the punch line was going to be that it was on "hold" due to turbulent economic times. It's so terrific - I hope they let you photograph if so we can see the finished product.

LindsB said...

I love those idea boards...their house is going to be amazing when you are done with it. Ahh, I wish I had a beach house in Cabo- it would be so nice :)

katiedid said...

Hello BL! Thanks for the visit. I still love these capiz shell light fixtures. Especially for a beach house.

Thanks HHF! I want to go too!

katiedid said...

Hello NaMiDani-
Thn=ank you for visitng! The inspiration came from the natural elements in Cabo San Lucas: the desert landscape, and the tide pools at the beach. The coral look of the drum light fixture and the circle shaped tiles reminded me of creatures in the tide pools. The green and blue are like seaweed and water. and the countertops are like compressed sand.

katiedid said...

Hi Kristen! They are hard working fabrics too! Thanks!

Thanks Callie! Glad you enjoyed.

Hi Suzy! Environment Furniture is a great line! Very creative and beautiful. Glad you like it!

katiedid said...

Hi Pamela and Linda! Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed the post. :)

Hi Patricia! Aw! You are so sweet! I am glad this couple is in "go" mode! They are the nicest people too. I am very lucky to have such great clients. The house is under construction, so I hope we can see results in another 6 months, perhaps sooner!

Hi LindsB! Thanks for visiting! I know! It would be nice, huh?

Joyce said...

There is something about the inspiration boards that remind me of an arist's sketchbook, that I LOVE!! I love the color combos you picked. The colors from outside coming inside, very nice....

Ann said...

Your inspiration boards are just amazing, I can see that textures will play a lot in your next project. The Furniture are just so lovely.

jae said...

You have done an amazing job of letting their surroundings be your inspiration. It is going to be stunning. Can't wait to see the photos. It made me think of a house in Africa I saw in Living Etc. awhile ago owned by the woman who used to run Whistles (I think). They completely let their environment dictate the design. Anyway, it is going to be breathtaking!

dolcechic said...

Thank you for sharing these with us. They're so beautiful! I'm sure they're going to love their new home!

A Day That Is Dessert said...

What a neat project! How many trips to Mexico will this involve?

Velvet and Linen said...

Your inspiration boards are... inspirational!
You have achieved exactly what your clients are looking for, a classic contempory feel that is warm and inviting. I love the colors and finishes you have selected.
Thank you for the introduction to Environment Furniture. It is always wonderful to have a new resource for great designs.

xo
Brooke

Patricia Gray said...

Thanks for sharing you wonderful inspiration boards. Creative Genius at work!!!!

michelle said...

I have a thing for design boards...even after a project is over, I can't get rid of them.

I LOVE the wood pieces...they feel like pallets or driftwood. I am going to check out the website now:)

Michelle

beachbungalow8 said...

great job! i love your choices. and thank you for a great new resource.

happy t-day

*m

Fifi Flowers said...

Wonderful design boards! What a FUN project! Cabo... not a shabby place to work!
ENJOY!
Fifi

Mélanie said...

It is going to be a fantastic house ! Baja California is still so wild ...this home will be perfect

hearthomelife.com said...

Stunning!! Looking forward to the "after" pictures! I am very impressed with how you have put together the mood boards/sample boards. I am an interior designer myself and its always nice to see how other people do it! Visit my brand new blog on www.hearthomelife.com

Love Emmely