Sunday, November 9, 2008

Cosmo Cafe

As Senior Designer of Benning Design Associates, I had the huge pleasure of heading up the design of a new Sacramento restaurant, Cosmo Cafe. (I mentioned it a little bit ago here.) There are some new photos on the Cosmo Cafe website that may just tempt you to come take a look for yourself. Located in the multi-use Cosmopolitan building, the Cosmo Cafe shares real estate with the Cosmopolitan Cabaret, and the newest Sacramento nightclub, Social.

Come on in. Here's a bit of a virtual tour:

Front Lounge Area

This is a great place to enjoy a cocktail and chat with friends while waiting for your table, or when catching a show at the Cabaret.

Lounge and Bar

Another view of the Lounge showing the graphic floor design

Opening Night Party. The enlarged back lighted photo in the background shows the original building in it's first incarnation as the Woolworth Building.

Main Bar and Restaurant

I had the signature Cosmo on opening night, natch. And I tried a "Faux-Hito" the other night which was so perfectly refreshing, everyone at the table ended up getting one.

Restaurant

I promise you, the food is delicious. There are small and large plates to suit every palate. Like the roasted beet salad, or the polenta fritters I had the other night. Fabulous! Check out the menu here.


Located in Sacramento a block from the State Capital, it seemed fitting to "capitalize" on the political climate with a few caricatures. You may recognize a few!

Some photographs from the Sacramento Archives of historic points of interest near the Cosmopolitan Building were featured in special art niches.

Crowd from Opening Night

I love this photo! Check out the Louboutins.

Next time you are in Sactown, be sure and stop in! I'll be looking for you.

27 comments:

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Beautiful job. It all looks amazing. That tile floor is to die for and I love the pop of green wtih the chairs. I'm in the NY area, but the next time I'm in Cali I must check this place out.

Luphia said...

a gem! love the use of lime green with black, so chic & elegant!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Katie - it looked great opening night, but was terrif to see the space with no one in it. It's fabulous - congratulations!

AT THE PICKLED HUTCH said...

What a fabulous space. Next time I visit my mom in Stockton, we are heading your way!
Lisa & Alfie

beachbungalow8 said...

wow. that floor kills! I love it with the pops of citron.

how funny, did you have to kneel down for that shoe shot?

Faith, the Authoress said...

I still need to hit Cosmo! I work right down the street, time for me to get in there for lunch. And a martini.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

You did a marvelous job! I adore the chartreuse chairs. I would think doing a restaurant would be so much fun. Are the clients easier than residential ones?

katiedid said...

Hi High Heeled! Thanks so much for the visit! Please drop me a line if you are ever in town!

Thanks Luphia for the kind words!

Thanks Mrs. B! It was very nice to see the new pics for me also!

Lisa! If you are ever in town please drop me a line! I'd love to meet you in person.:)

katiedid said...

Hi Megan! Hahaha! I bet someone got down low, but it wasn't me. Fun picture though, huh?

katiedid said...

Hi Faith! Yes! You have to take a trip over. The food is really very good!

Hi Pamela! The nice thing about a commercial project is the definite timeline. It is nice to see a complete project within a usually shorter time frame. And there is a bit less emotion involved...a little more clearcut. But residential has many interesting layers that I also love. Often I get to be good friends with my residential clients. But I end up with friends from commercial projects too, now that I think about it!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Wow, Katie, what a beautiful job you did! Love that floor....and the colors are really great!

Lovely work. Must be so rewarding to see the completed product and so many people enjoying it!

And great shoe shot!

Happy night...

xo

Style Court said...

They were talking about Sacramento last night on Colbert Report :)

Still loving the green chairs with the fab floor!

The House of Beauty and Culture said...

Very smart. Kudos!

julia@lookiloos.com said...

That green is absolutely fabulous with the black floor. A real inspiration. I'm looking to redo my daughter's room that has a rose and black Persian rug. I wonder if I could get away with some green bedding? She wants a big change.

Diane said...

I love lime green, it makes me smile... matter of fact my sofa is lime green and my walls are Tiffany Blue. It is the only way I can survive the heat of Palm Springs in the summer.

Pigtown-Design said...

I love the floor! And everything else. You did a super job!

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Very chic. The photo showing the walls with interesting local buildings and floor is a beaut.

Sharyn said...

I was in Sacramento a few days ago on a business trip and went to this restaurant. It was wonderful! The decor was absolutely stunning and the food did not disapoint. Thank you for the lovely suggestion!

Patricia Gray said...

Congratulations Katie. What a beautiful restaurant. You have created a magnificent setting for an equally magnificent dining experience. I loved the tribute post that Joni did on you:
http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2008/11/katie-did-she-really-did.html

All the Best
Patricia

Paloma said...

Katie, congratulations on doing an incredible job! The restaurant looks amazing! I love the mosaic floor, the color palette, the seating in the waiting area, and the old Sacramento photographs. If the food is half as good as the décor, it is bound to be a very successful restaurant.

Jackie Von Tobel said...

Stunning, Who knew there was such a hip social scene in Sacramento! I adore the floor, congratulations on such a beautiful design.

franki durbin said...

the floor work is amazing. what a lovely view into your professional work! Lovely... and clearly, the opening party was a huge success! Looks like a very chic crowd.

Suzy said...

It looks fantastic Katie, you've done a great job. Congrats!

Wendy Hoechstetter, Allied Member ASID said...

Beautiful work, Katie!

Jennifer Ramos said...

THAT PLACE is stunning! AND the floor...WOW!!

Jen Ramos
'100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards & More'
www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com

- Suzie - said...

Congratulations!
Stunning! I am impressed and Joni was right to inform about it!
Greetings from Europe

Topsy Turvy said...

What a fabulous talent you are, Katie! Great work.

-Lana