Monday, November 3, 2008

Hannah's Room

If you have been reading Katiedid for awhile, you know I have been working on my younger daughter's bedroom, theoretically for her birthday. Well, her birthday has come and gone, and we are still not quite done. I can manage to get client's work done and meet a deadline at work, but at home.....the cobbler's shoe syndrome takes over. We have drapery panels to hang, a mirror to find, and art to hang. But the furniture is all in and the room is painted! Progress!

In the meantime, my older daughter had a party for Halloween. Which prompted a room cleaning. I thought I would take the very infrequent opportunity of a clean room to snap some photos. Just so I can remember what it looks like.

Hannah and I did her room a few years ago starting with the Marimekko "Unikko" Duvet Cover and shams as the jump off point. We chose a matlisse bedspread from Crate and Barrel with matching Euro shams for the "background". You probably recognize the Seagrass headboard from Pottery Barn. The nightstand is an antique Swedish pine table. Nate Berkus lamps from Linens and Things. Red drapery panels from IKEA. We chose things that a teenage girl could grow with that were affordable, and therefore changeable if tastes changed.

Above her antique pine dresser, I placed a flea market mirror that I painted red which made it pop off the walls, which are painted Dunn Edwards Whisper White.

The room is divided by French doors into two parts, the main bedroom (very small) and a sun room. It is a very charming space and one of the selling points when we were first looking to buy the house. As soon as Hannah saw this space she claimed first dibs.

The sun room is covered with bead board on the walls and ceiling and has windows on three walls. We made it into a cozy library using West Elm book shelves, which fit perfectly under the windows. There is an old pine armoire for storage....and Heaven knows a teenage girl has got to have storage. We used West Elm red lacquer nesting tables, a white slip covered chair from IKEA and a lambskin rug on the floor.

And that's it! A fun bright space for my teenage girl.

Speaking of Nate Berkus.......now that Linens and Things is closing, I was wondering where he might be selling his retail products. It turns out he is offering his line on the HSN website. He is also writing a blog for the website as well, which you can check out here. I went and did a little looking around and found THE mirror for my other daughter's bedroom! The Nate Berkus Moroccan Mirror:

Perfect size and price! I am determined to get this room done before.......Christmas!

35 comments:

maison21 said...

katie, you are way ahead of the decorating your own home thing compared to me- the redecorating project i began FIVE years ago is still about 50% unfinished.

your daughter's room is adorable, and quite sophisticated for a young girl- love it!

Kaitlyn's Momma said...

It is absolutely GORGEOUS! You have wonderful taste!

katiedid said...

Hi M21!
I think the house as a whole will never be "done"! Little bits and peices at a time. Thank you so much!

katiedid said...

Hi kaitlyn's momma!
Thanks so much! It looks like you have a teenager's bedroom to design in your future! What a cutie!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Really lovely room, and very smart Hannah for calling dibs on that sunroom!

Cote de Texas said...

So cute! I love the little sitting area - my daughter would KILL for a room like that!!! older houses just have the charm that newer ones lack. that's the best headboard in the world I think - only after the slipcovered furniture from IKEA which I think is the best buy out there, bar none. Very cute room!

Brilliant Asylum said...

You have such lucky daughters. It looks great! Thanks for the Nate Berkus update.

ALL THE BEST said...

Looks wonderful!!!!

katiedid said...

Hi Pamela! Haha! I think so too. The deal is that her youger sisiter gets the room when she goes of to college. :)

katiedid said...

Thanks Joni! Onlineis fast and easy. I think that is why her room got done the quickest.

katiedid said...

Thanks Brilliant and Ronda!

kelleyp said...

yes, pls do hurry with the other daughters room as I am dying to see the outcome. looks great!

beachbungalow8 said...

katie, this looks so GREAT. cheerful, modern and vintage at once. Perfect for a young girl because while it's still feminine and youthful, it doesn't feel juvenile.

does she let you do whatever?

sandra/tx said...

What a hip, fresh room. Your daughter's a lucky girl.

Jennifer said...

it looks so great! I had this Marimekko pattern in my college dorm room and loved how cheerful and fun it was -- but not too juvenile. now I'm kind of missing it!

citysage said...

What a fabulous, fabulous space. It's the perfect combination of style and livability. The colors are so vibrant, and everything fits together perfectly without feeling 'matchy'. Lovely! And thanks also for sharing your sources...I love knowing that a look was created by shopping at local shops or online :)

Hill Country House Girl said...

What a great room. My Hannah would be so jealous.I redecorated her room a few years ago. Somehow the STUFF has taken over. Is there ever enough storage? Love the bright, hip colors and the space is charming with the sun room. Thanks for the update on Nate, too.

Mélanie said...

wonderful taste, Katie ! What a lovely room for your daughter ! Bravo

jae said...

Was wondering about Nate...thanks for the update. Can't wait to see the new room since the old room looks so great. Quick thinking on her part to claim that room and kudos to you for letting her. With all those windows, it would be my office.

viera said...

What a lovely room! It’s every girls dream to have adjoined sun room. Great for sleepovers. Very cute but sophisticated.

A home far away said...

Marimekko is just lovely, especially "Unikko" I have instead of a painting just the fabric of Unikko to our kitchen entrance, it looks really nice:-

Hugs Gunilla in Singapore

Marie Louise said...

What a bright airy room - your daughter must be pleased. When I think of my room as a teenager it makes me cringe - of course I "decorated it myself". Haven't been a fan of purple since!

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Ahhhh. What a GORGEOUS room! That little sunroom off of it is delicious...the west Elm shelves fit perfectly, eh?

Love the headboard, and the colors! So fresh! That mirror is going to be the icing on the cake!

I'll bet she is smiling ear to ear. My Olivia wants a room re-do, now!!

Patricia Gray said...

Katie
The room looks absolutely beautiful. I can totally relate to your "cobbler's shoe syndrome". It is an occupational hazard.

Fifi Flowers said...

GREAT job! The rooms look great! Definitely room to grow up in!

hello gorgeous said...

What a beautiful job. I bet your girl is a happy camper.

I loved that you wanted to take pictures while it was clean. I can relate!

katiedid said...

Hi Kelleyp!
I am trying to get it done soon! I need a bit of art, a coupe of lamps and that mirror....then i can take some pics!

Hi Megan!
She let's me help do alot. But she wants to paint the room a different colr now that we are working on her sister's room!

Hi Sandra and Jennifer! Thanks for the visit and your sweet comments! Always nice to hear. :)

katiedid said...

Hi Citysage and thanks for visiting! Being a very busy working mom, being able to shop for affordable things online is so great! And if you add one-of-a-kind antiques or art, it will personalize the space. Thanks for your nice comments!

Hi Hill House! You have a Hannah too? Love the name, natch.

Hi Marie Louise! When I was 12, I had royal blue carpet that I picked out myself. I look back and ask myself, what the heck was I thinking! There were beautiful hardwood floors under there!

katiedid said...

Thanks Linda and Patricia! Your comments make my day. :)

Hello Gorgeous! Thanks for visiting! It is a rare occurence, but helps me appreciate it all the more when clean! It has been a few weeks since it was cleaned, and she is maintaining it pretty well! I think it gets overwhelming sometimes to even begin once it gets past a certain point. Hahaha.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Oh my goodness...........I hope that girl of yours realizes how very lucky she is....Such gorgeousness! I wish it were my room (We are in the middle of packing to move and it is just complete and total chaos around here.). Any chance she would share?

PS Love that you are using that Moroccan mirror!!!

Eco Friendly said...

Beautiful room, great decor and love the color. I'm glad I found your blog!

Velvet and Linen said...

What a beautiful girl's room.
I love the sun room. You are right, it is so charming.
We used the sea grass headboards in our guest room at our beach home. They're great.
Love it.

Brooke

Style Court said...

I've said it before but your daughter is most fortunate Katie! What a lovely room. My favorite thing might be the red mirror. Love the bedside lamp too. So youthful but sophisticated. She can keep all of the pieces for years. Great job!

drey said...

i love what you've given to your daughter. and the room! to have an extra "sun room" to a bedroom is luxury for anyone!!!

so gorgeous :)

drey

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Absolutely adorable!