Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Family's Room

Many of you have seen my kitchen remodel project...and if you haven't, you can check it out here, and here....but I hadn't shown the Family Room before, which is adjacent to the kitchen. There was always something or other that I was waiting for, or looking for. And it is still not completely "done". (Is it ever?). I would still like to get some bamboo shades up, and hang a couple of things on the walls.
But I thought...I had cleaned it for that Progressive Dinner Party the other night...and it looked pretty nice....so pictures were in order.

I always say that a room is not your own til you have added something one-of-a-kind to it. Whether it is your Great Aunt's Chinese Porcelain cache pots, or a Garage Sale rattan table, or the Flea Market Art Deco Throw....find something you love that no one else has. Even better if it tells a story. Like the time when you went to France in your 20's and successfully managed to get the two little polka-dotted pitchers home from a Flea Market in Provence wrapped carefully in the socks in your suitcase without breaking them. Or the time when you meticulously ordered a custom rug from Tibet with a wave motif on the edge to remind you of the ocean with a navy blue field color, waited twice the time promised...and then when it comes in you are horrified to see it is forest green. One has to really love a rug to wait all over again for the blue rug to come.
But things come as they come. It is the room we use the most often. We sit and watch movies, do homework, munch on popcorn and cookies, drink wine with friends. It really has all of the important stuff. But I still think to myself what does the room still need? I guess that is why I do what I do.

22 comments:

Michelle Parks McCourt said...

True.
PSReally like your blog!

sandra/tx said...

That's a beautiful room. And, you're right. They're never finished.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Hi Katie! Love the family room. Such wisdom too, the more personalized the stories are behind what you have, the more the room is unique. No one will have the exact same room!

It is beautiful, Katie!!
Melissa

Cote de Texas said...

great story about the rug - it looks like it was worth it! love the blues!! great job - as expected, of course!!!

Pigtown-Design said...

Next time you're back east, can you come work your magic on my house?

Jane Knight said...

Katie,
I am enjoying our blog so much! It is such a delight to read! Thank you for the brightness and joy it brings each time I read it.
Jane

maison21 said...

such a beautiful and comfortable room, and your choice of personal items to display really makes it feel like a home.

kudos.

ps- i love that PB pillow- such style for the price, no?

Suzy said...

Fabulous! I love that each piece has a story. And you're right...are our rooms ever "done?

Meg said...

I love it! It looks comfortable and inviting and of course stylish!

katiedid said...

Hi Michelle and Sandra! Thanks for the visit. It always seems there is something that needds changing, adding, taking away.

Thanks Melissa! I look forward to seeing more of your new home!

katiedid said...

Hi Joni!
I almost cancelled that rug, but glad to have it now.

Hi Meg!-
I wish I could get back East more often...I think I was meant for the East Coast sometimes. :)

katiedid said...

Hi Jane, and thanks for your very kind comment. I am glad you enjoy! Hope to "see" you again. :)

katiedid said...

Hi Christian!
I was wondering who might recognize that pillow! To me it is so PB, but I still like it. And you got it right about the price.

Style Court said...

Katie -- I LOVE your personal stories behind the pieces! Noticed the Tibetan rug right away. Beautiful. Just such a nice job waving everything together.

jae said...

The room looks beautiful. I really loved the stories behind everything that made it your own. It is very evident why you do what you do so well...finished room or not.

Velvet and Linen said...

Great rug, Katie. Definitely worth the wait.
Your family room looks warm and inviting. I can understand why you and your family spend most of your time in it. So would I!

You sound like me, I never really feel like a room is really "done". It just evolves.

xo
Brooke

A Day That Is Dessert said...

Don't you have a brother in Seattle? Maybe you can work some magic in my house sometime? Love your room. (When I saw the title I actually thought this post was going to be about "The Family"'s room; something related to White House decorating :)

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Or, how about purchasing the most wonderful handpainted 28" mirror in a tiny little shop on a rainy day in Paris during the first week of a five week European trip...and being too young to think that shipping it home was even an option...so you carefully pack and repack it on boats, trains and planes all over Europe!!! Yes, that was me, and I'm happy to say the mirror made it home safely and now hangs proudly in my library!!

I do love the throw you have across the sofa. It is matelasse?? I can't quite tell. The rug was worth the wait, Katie.

Alkemie said...

I love how cozy your family room looks. The blue rug is definitely a beauty! Most interior designers I know are constantly looking to mix it up, I think it is in the blood :)

Karen O.

pve design said...

Lovely spot for any family to share the remnants of the day. I especially love that this room looks like it was designed from the heart, and that it is not in the kitchen. I always love cozy family rooms.

Patricia Gray said...

I think as designers the hardest project we will ever work on is our own home. You have done a great job and I would love to come and sit with you and watch a movie and eat popcorn in your Family Room!!

Meander said...

Oh I just want to curl up on that sofa in the last picture! Gorgeous! Thanks, as always for the inspiration!