Monday, July 13, 2009

The Future’s So Bright……

Cooper in Shades

I passed a milestone last week. I have to say I am a little put out by this whole “getting older” thing. I don’t feel any older. I feel like I am just getting started! Not that I haven’t lived yet….but there is so much living yet to do. And I am enjoying every bit I can.

We went on the most beautiful hike on the 4th. Took the dog, and a picnic. Tim and I and the girls drove up to Horsetail Falls in the Sierras and it was just a gorgeous day.

Cooper on our Hike

Cooper couldn’t have been happier. Squirrels, leftover cheese from the lunch pack, sticks to chase, and cold clear H2O from the Sierras. What could be better?

Horsetail Falls Hike, River

Later we had a block party with the neighbors…pot luck….and I have foodie’s for neighbors, so the spread was amazing! A very nostalgic, old fashioned Fourth of July. We even stood in a circle at one point right before the fireworks “finale” in the street, and everyone sang the National Anthem. I was quite impressed really. We all remembered the words, and most were able to hit the high notes.

Then Monday came around. I woke up feeling the same as I usually do….a little groggy, but looking forward to the day. Then I remembered. It was THAT birthday! I tried to just put it out of my mind. I had a pretty normal day. I worked. But when I checked emails, I was really touched to receive so many well wishes from my blogger and facebook friends. I have to say it really brightened my day! Thank you all so much!

When I say I worked…I was actually told to stay in my basement studio until my family gave the word that I could come up. They were preparing something special!

Cupcakes with candles My husband prepared one of my all time favorite meals: BBQ-d steak (medium), fresh salad with roasted pine nuts and avocado, and corn on the cob. Then my girls presented me with this! Orange chiffon cupcakes with orange butter cream frosting (all home made from scratch!). They even made marzipan labels with chocolate letters that spelled out “HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM”.

Cupcake

They were sooooo good! Someone was waiting very patiently for a piece:

Cooper under the table

After dinner and cake, it was on to the presents!

And what is it about Mothers? My Mother always seems to find the perfect thing. She wrapped individual little packages (one for each year….you’re counting aren’t you!) and fit them into a vintage cloche on top of an antique footed ironstone platter, both so gorgeous, I was speechless. It was so much fun to open every little package, funny little things: a bandana, a carved wooden stamp, a hair comb, a beaded necklace….and on.

Cloche with Presents

Some birthdays seem to have a sort of “theme” to them, don't they? This was a birthday of flowers. I seemed to receive them all week long. The first bouquet was from my workmate, Lise. She picked the most beautiful roses from her garden. They smelled heavenly!

Roses

The next day I got a knock on the door, and these were on the other side! My old college roommate who shares my birthday sent this stunning bouquet. There is a rose for every year…..your counting again right now aren’t you?

Yellow Roses 2

The week kept rolling along. My husband and I were going out for dinner Friday, just the two of us….but when we got there, they had given away our table………or did they?!?! When the hostess said she would find something for us, she opened a curtain, and, …..yes…..SURPRISE!!!! Twenty of my girlfriends were there to celebrate my birthday with me. My husband had been planning for months. I am very lucky, I know. These were waiting for me in front of my seat at the table:

Blue and White Flowers It was a wonderful birthday WEEK! I got to see friends that came in from out of town, and friends that I have known since my kids were little. This getting older thing turned out to be not so bad. It was a reminder of how many people I have met and who have become friends I care about.

Card

I received so many thoughtful and beautiful gifts, and very kind words. And I will keep them all in my memory. Thank you all! But, one of the things I will treasure above all (along with my husband’s careful planning), is this simple white envelope with cut out letters made by my daughter’s hands.

The Future’s so bright…you gotta wear shades!

35 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

What a wonderful birthday week!! Please allow Edward and I to add our very best wishes for continued birthday happiness throughout the coming year!

And, since there were twenty girlfriends at the surprise party, I can safely assume you turned twenty this year. Right?

La Maison Fou said...

Oh, Happy Belated Birthday!
L

Paula Grace Halewski said...

Happy Birthday! What a fantastic week. Don't sweat the age thing... it only gets better.

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Oh Happy Belated Birthday!!!! You've had an amazing week. I love your mom's gift idea. That is a great idea that I would love to steal.

Oh those cupcakes look delish!

Wishing you many, many, many more birthdays!!!

Paris Hotel Boutique said...

What a fabulous birthday week Katie! Friends and family...so much fun! Happy Birthday!!

Paloma {La Dolce Vita} said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Katie! Wishing you all the best this year! It sounds like you had a lovely celebration.

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Oh happy happy day...and what a WONDERFUL birthday week...so deserved!!

May it keep going this week!

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Happy Birthday! I love all those great ideas (don't moms always have them) and what gorgeous flowers!

Linda/"Mom" said...

* HAPPY BELATED BD! From the looks n' "read" of it, it was mahhhhhvleous, dahhhhlink'... just MAHHHHVELOUS!!! (And I think it's a WELL-DESERVED CELEBRATION in h onor of a life WELL-LIVED ... SOOOO FAR!!!!~~~~ Wishing you OH-SO-MAN-MOOOORE!!!

Blessings,
Linda in AZ *

Yansy said...

Happy B-Day! It sounds like you had an amazing time with your family and friends. Your husband is such a sweetheart.

A Day That is Dessert said...

Happy, happy birthday!! I wish you lots of happiness in the year to come. xoxo

Gaj said...

Lucky lady you! You placed the birthday card on the table in the photo which reads 1959. So lets see, let me do the arithmetic.......thats 2009 minus 1959.............39!
Thanks for sharing this lovely experience!
Gaj Lambert
PS Are you located somewhere near Auburn Calif?

Tracy @ comfortandluxury said...

What a lucky birthday girl you are! That's the thing to focus on... the number is no big deal when you're having so much fun!

katiedid said...

Thank you all so much!!!!! It was a great week.

And Gaj....you are WAY too observant for my own good!!!! ;D

Vitania said...

Wow - Great Post ! The flowers are all so beautiful, and what yummy cupcakes. Happy Birthday katie! Have a wonderful Year - whatever year it is !

Vitania

Diane Dorrans Saeks said...

Hi Katie-

Bravo to your husband for pulling off the 'surprise' birthday party/dinner.
That is always a brave thing to do.
I was invited to a 'surprise' birthday party/dinner recently (no names) and the honored guest had gone home, was tired, decided to take a nap--and had to be practically dragged to the party and was no fun at all. Oh, dear.
Your husband pulled it off-without you even suspected. That's impressive.
Chic presents!

Alicia said...

Good for you & belated birthday!!!
See the key you already have..you don't feel older, so dont act it.
I have no qualms at number 43 looming on the horizon. I actually feel freer now, less restrained to convention, more than ever. Go with it, be yourself & it reall y will just be a number!!!
And bravo to your hubboe & girlfriends. 20 & no one talked...impressive!!!

Mrs. Blandings said...

All I'm counting is the number of times I've come here and enjoyed myself. So many good things came back to you because you are sending so much good stuff out.

And, your husband's a peach.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

thats what birthdays are all about -and yours is particularly special! WOW! Sounds amazing :-)

mary said...

Happy Birthday...never too late!! What a wonderful family to give you such amazing memories to cherish.
Life does definitely get better and better.

Michelle said...

Aww...your kids are as talented as you! What a great day! Someone said once "to love and be loved"...are the great pleasures of life.

Happy Birthday!
Michelle

Slices of Beauty... said...

So right, there is more to celebrate than worrying about age!
High five to the loving husbsnd for organising that, that alone is worth celebrating.

Many beautiful returns.

Southern Aspirations said...

A FABULOUS birthday week! Love all the photos... and especially the views from the hike! Gorgeous!

Marie Cole said...

Happy belated Birthday!!!!! Whatever your age you look AWESOME! :)

Michele from Boston said...

Happy Birthday ! What a truly touching post. Gorgeous blooms and treats. I'm hitting the same milestone this month myself and I hope I handle it as well as you did. Let's hope the recession starts to ease in the Fall..
Best,
Michele

lizawiza said...

What a great birthday! You must be so loved! The cupcakes are beautiful and I love the bird vases you had next to the roses. So unique.

Clayton Gray Home said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Patricia Gray said...

Happy Birthday to you Katie. It looks and sounds like you had a great extended BD celebration. I say drag it out for as long as you can....like for the rest of your life.
All the best to you
Patricia

deb said...

wow -- what a wonderful birthday. what great ideas.
deb
http://www.atticroute66.blogspot.com

beachbungalow8 said...

happy birthday Katie! i love the antique cloche filled with gifts. It looks like you have another stylist in the house!
xoxo

megan

style chronicle said...

Happy Birthday! What wonderful celebrations!!

birthday girl said...

happy birthday! sounds like you had the perfect celebration...you must be doing something right to have so many people who love you like that.

columnist said...

A happy birthday indeed, and the more fun (for us) in the way you have described your week. The best is yet to come!

katiedid said...

Thank you all so very much! It was an amazing week and it means so much to me to hear from all of YOU!

Topsy Turvy said...

Happy belated Birthday! Sounds like you have a very talented family and lots of great friends.

–Lana