Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Acorns and White Porcelain

The Oak tree out front is trying to tell me something: "Fall is fast approaching".

I was just playing around with some of my white "objets". I have things that are not quite perfect.: broken coral, a weathered concrete balustrade piece I made into a lamp (it still has green and brown paint on it that has worn through), a chipped vintage porcelain lunch pail with a metal lid. But I find them all beautiful and intriguing. Maybe more so than if they were perfect.

I found the lunch pail at the latest Sacramento Antique Faire and don't know a lot about it's origins. Has anyone seen one before? As I mentioned, it is white porcelain and has what appears to be a zinc lid that has clasps that wrap underneath the front and back. With all of it's imperfection, it is the perfect size for letters and postcards, photos and other small remembrances.

Perfectly imperfect.

12 comments:

Nicolette said...

Hi Katie. Thanks for visiting my blog. I have some white sand, corals, sea shells, sea stars, etc. that I collected. What I do is use a round fish bowl, place the white sand to about 1/3 full, and place my goodies on top.

Nicolette
http://www.furnitureanddesignideas.com/

Vitania said...

What a beautiful vignette. You are absolutely right, the imperfections tell a bit of a story, and make it all the more interesting..

I am also quite liking the reflection in the mirror..:-)

Vignette

Callie Grayson said...

What a great lunch box!!
I too have been collecting acorns on my way to work, there is a tree by the train stop and I pick up a few each day! Your display, styling is perfect!
xx
callie

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

My oak trees are talking also.
And I love that lunchpail!!

Scott Fazzini said...

Oh, Katie you steal my heart with your white weathered wonders! The lamp, the lunch pail, the acorns!!! I'm in l-o-v-e..

Cote de Texas said...

you always make that table look so wonderful! and I spy a new skirted table???????

Grant K. Gibson said...

I love your style!
See you at Gumps this week?

Rosina at Middle Ageless said...

What a lovely blog! I got the same feeling looking through the pics as I do from Alexandra Stoddard's wonderful books. Love those acorns. they make me very homesick...

erin Ferucci said...

so sweet! I love the coral and the acorns! !!

casapinka said...

I think this is a very captivating combination. How funny that acorns are right in front of us and we don't think to use them. There is somthing so dreamy about the acorns and white porcelain - such a pretty vignette!

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,

I think your lunch box is actually from a picnic set.
I have seen these on the east coast in antique stores but never on the west coast.
It was usually a set of 3. 1 large and 2 smaller that sat in the larger piece. They were usually used to keep foods cold.
It is in wonderful condition.

Is the Sac Antique Faire the one that is held under the freeway?
Is it worth a 2 hour drive?
I would love your opinion before planning a drive down.

Anonymous said...

hello


just signed up and wanted to say hello while I read through the posts


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.