Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Couple of Things I've Been Working On:

Secondary Bath in Contemporary Ranch House

Sometimes life throws us a curve ball, or lemons, if you will. If we are lucky, we do catch a glimpse of it coming. Last winter, the recession had hit Sacramento particularly hard,and it had a big affect on our family. The position I had held for 10 years as Senior Designer with another design company was eliminated at the end of last year. I had seen it coming. I had prepared myself to make a go of it and open my own design studio. Call me crazy....open a business in this climate?!?! But I felt I had a few things going for me: I had just finished a remodel of my home which included a large home office/studio space (so no overhead to speak of), I had a pretty good reputation in the area, I had a couple of clients that came with me with the "OK" from my ex-boss, and I had started my blog, katiedid, almost two years prior. I cannot tell you what a huge help the blog has been to me in so many ways.

Perhaps most important to my design business, I have been very fortunate to have wonderful, wonderful clients. They have been staunch supporters, and such a pleasure to work with. I wake up everyday thinking how lucky I am. I have been busy with so many fun projects of all kinds, and some of them are almost ready to "show off".

Secondary Bath

So here are a couple of preview pictures of a house I have been working on with a couple who have become good friends in the process. They purchased a midcentury contemporary home that was in need of a face-lift. Most of the house was gutted, but the terrazo floor in the sunken living room remained intact. These are a just a couple of photos of the Kids' Bath and the Master Bath.

Master Bath

I have also been working on a beautiful Prairie Style Home which is nearing completion as well. Totally different style, and so much fun to work on. I promise to have pictures of this house when it is done!

I just want to say "Thank You" to my magnificent clients. You make my day!

The Lemonade is tasting better every day.

18 comments:

Off the List said...

Bravo - no more need be said.

(& bon chance)

Mrs. Blandings said...

Katie - Beautiful - I always look forward to seeing your work because it is so crisp and clear.

The Countess of Nassau County said...

I love the wonderful texture you gave the wall.

Porchlight Interiors said...

Lovely work - thanks for sharing! Tracey xx

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Oh boy...from the little taste...I can tell it will be a stunner. Might I add that your clients are mighty lucky too!

Brilliant Asylum said...

Very cool--is that slate on the wall?

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Such great work and congratulations on the success of your business, well-deserved!

Cote de Texas said...

stunning! I can't wait to see more - I love your style and I knew you'd come out ahead. So happy for you!!!

mary said...

Love those baths! Yes, learning to make lemonade is the secret to many of life's challenges. Congratulations.

Callie Grayson said...

Yeah! Lemonade is always good!!! I am so happy for you that everything is working out for you. Sometimes you just need that little push to open the door to some amazing things.

Your work is fabulous! love that stacked stone wall, gorgeous!!
Can't wait to see more.
xx
callie

Marie said...

I think you are in much better place, having your own company, I am sure your clients are in love with you and your work! :)

arbogast said...

Your project looks amazing (as usual)
Love your eye.......I always look forward to your photo's. Wishing you lots of success!

Linda Arbogast

Ashfield Hansen Design Inc. said...

Katie-
Nicely done!
This economy has been challenging to say the least, and I think you will persevere.
Your blog is compelling and shows you are a true professional!

I look forward to seeing you again.

Best,
David @ Ashfield Hansen Design

Trove Interiors said...

Katie,
Lemons can be tart, but they do make the best lemonade! Congratulations on your success and your own company. I can't wait to see the rest of the contemporary ranch. It's beautiful.

Jenn from The Home Decorating Company said...

I absolutely love the tile work in the secondary bath. The texture and color are amazing!

Also, good luck with opening your own studio. Hope all goes well for you!

katiedid said...

Thank you all so much! I hope to have better pictures in a bit. But really the best part truly is working with these amazing clients.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

You know, some how I missed this big transition in your life but I think it must be so, so exciting to work for yourself! And those baths look luxurious!

maison21 said...

lovin' that wall! good work, katie, and continued success!