Friday, July 9, 2010

All About Me!

My new Powder Room Guest Towels
Another year has flashed before my eyes, and I am another year older, and perhaps a tad wiser. (Although I do have times that I wonder about the last bit.) But there is one thing I do know. We, as a family, are more frugal when it comes to pampering ourselves. We buy things we will use and find joy in on a daily basis. So when it came time to answer my daughter's questions about what I really wanted for my birthday this year, it was a tough one to answer.
Believe it or not, I asked for a vacuum cleaner....one with a retractable cord and VACUUM BAGS!!!! I have been struggling through the past few years with a vacuum that could only have been invented by someone who must never vacuum himself....the God-awful Bissell Upright. (Trust me, I did not buy this myself.....but that is another story). Now, who would invent a vacuum that when you go to empty it spreads the dust all over again because it is not contained in a bag?!! This thing had so many useless attachments, I was astounded. I will not bore you with all of the things that I despised about this piece of .......well...enough of that. Phew! I have been wanting to get that off my chest for a long time.
I LOVE my new Kenmore which is light as a feather, has large vacuum bags and a light that tells you when it is full, a couple of attachments that WORK for everything I need, stores compactly and has a retractable cord (no more winding up the cord!) It sounds so unromantic, but it's what I have been wanting for years now. Thanks Tim!!!
OK..so on to the "pretty" things!
I had been searching for linen guest towels for the Powder Room for quite awhile, and Pottery Barn added very nice quality linen towels to their line recently. The monogram adds personal touch, and the price ($19 for a pair) was the best I have seen. Thanks girls!!
My Mom brought over the most beautiful Hydrangea to fill in our new garden area. I can hardly wait to get it planted! So gorgeous, the photo does not do it justice. Mom always knows best.
"Anabelle" Hydrangea from Mom
I am so thankful for my family who I love so much and who loves me back. Another wonderful year.

My Lemon Cooler cake from Freeport Bakery with rainbow flame candles

Happy Birthday to Me!

21 comments:

Kate F. said...

Agh, when we first moved into our apartment my husband brought home the horrendous Bissell upright from Costco, thinking he was being both sweet and clever by picking out a vacuum (without doing ANY research). I HATE THAT THING. Worst vacuum ever. He has never lived it down.

Happy birthday and enjoy your new vacuum!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

aww -happy birthday!!
also check on etsy for monogrammed linens - SUPER CHEAP and always nice to help out a 'small business' :-)

katiedid said...

Kate! We are totally on the same page....my sweet husband did the same thing....I kept it for as long as I could stand it just because he tried so hard.

Ann said...

Happy Birthday, Katie!

I also celebrated my birthday this week. Great day- my daughter flew in to surprise me for a wonderful 3 days.

Nothing like having a vacuum you like- makes life a lot easier! Aahh- the small things in life. Or, as the saying goes, it's all in the details!

-Ann

Paloma {La Dolce Vita} said...

Happy Birthday, Katie! It sounds like you had a wonderful day. All the best to you!

Cheminne said...

I hope you have a FABULOUS birthday!

A Perfect Gray said...

happy birthday!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Katie!!!

Mine b-day is tomorrow! I love your powder room...course I want to see all of it....

Have a great weekend!

Susie @ Maddie's Nest said...

Happy Birthday! Yeah, I asked for and got a food-saver for Christmas. My husband thought I was joking at first....

Sounds like a great birthday and love the glimpse into your powder room...looks so serene!

Covetable said...

Happy Birthday, Katie. I laughed out loud when I read about your vacuum cleaner. I felt the same way about the Dyson before it got put out to pasture.

I asked for my family to clean the garage really, really well for my birthday. It's all I really wanted, and it makes me happy every day.

mary said...

Hi Katie, Happy Birthday......I do believe that there many, many blog-people who love you, too and your informative, happy, upbeat posts. Please keep them coming. Mary

Mona Thompson said...

What a wonderful birthday. It almost makes me cry. family is just the best. Happy Birthday!

maison21 said...

how sweet to get lovely gifts you really love- i completely get the vacuum thing!

happy birthday, katie!!!!!!!

oxoxo-

c.

ps- i hope you saved me a slice of that cake- a lemon dessert is ALWAYS my first choice!

Hill Country House Girl said...

Happy Birthday! I LOVE this post for several reasons - I have a daughter who is especially sensitive to my birthday and makes a cake for me whenever she can, so I love the "Happy Birthday Mom"! Also, we just get to a point in our lives where something like a good vaccuum cleaner IS important, though not glamorous.....you just need a good one!Glad to learn about that Bissell - I will remember that.

The hand towels and hydrangea are lovely, as are you. I love reading about families who love each other.

pve design said...

Another year, woo hoo! Happy Birthday to you Katie and here's to little rewards, like clean hand towels and freshly swept or "vacuumed" homes - and cake makes it all sweeter.
pve

ashlina {the decorista} said...

yay! happy birthday! love that cake. i kinda wanna eat it. :) and your powder room is gorgeous. love love love! xo

Claudia Juestel said...

Happy Birthday Katie! And it should be all about you.

Cheers,

Claudia

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Happy Birthday, Katie! There is no better gift than a vacuum you love ~ really, there isn't. {I have personal experience with a "just wrong" vacuum too!} Love the towels, love the cake, mostly love this post that shows YOU are loved.

Please join us for the FrenchGardenHouse Belgian Table Linens GIVEAWAY~Lidy

Christine said...

Kate,
I love the vanity and was wondering if you had slabs cut or if it was a ready made piece. If you would share I would be grateful.

Happy Birthday.
I always wondered if people liked those bagless vacuums...I couldn't help thinking about all the dog hair and spiders in there!

katiedid said...

Stefan! Thanks for the tip! I don't know why I didn't think f that. Excellent idea!

Thanks so much to everyone for your kind wishes!

Christine, Thanks for reading! The counter is from a slab that was cut to fit a custom vainty. You can find a similar style on Waterworks....a demilune style vanity

Hello Lover... said...

Happy Belated - my family has also taken to asking for/receiving more practical gifts, it really shows the times we're in. Love your powder room and the towels are charming!