Friday, October 29, 2010

A Day in the Life

4:45AM - Faint stirring when I hear Tim get up for his morning exercise routine. Still think he is crazy to get up so early.
6:00AM  Faint stirring when I hear Tim get in the shower.
6:30AM  Our Australian Shepherd jumps on the bed for a morning cuddle. I feel wet dog hair and turn on the light and see muddy paw prints all over the bed. March downstairs to put dog outside. Scold Tim for letting dog in when she is all muddy.

She looks so innocent when she is asleep, doesn't she?
6:45AM Throw on clothes and tell daughter  to hurry up or she will be late for school.
7:00AM Warm up car to take daughter to school.
7:15AM Back home, shower and dress.
7:30AM Eat breakfast and read the paper...."Local Mall Burns Down!" Oh no! Were Crate and Barrel, PB and Restoration affected?
8:15AM Check emails and respond to clients. Yes, we can get marble remnant for Powder Room Counter.
8:45AM Strip bed and put muddy sheets and duvet in the laundry.
9:00AM Take dogs to the groomer for a bath...it has been too long anyway.
9:30AM Make plan for the day. Check Voicemail: "You too can benefit from Government Mortgage Bailout", Very excited client message about her kitchen that I designed published in Sacramento magazine!
10:00 AM Blog Post about One King's Lane Tag Sale
10:30 AM Order bed from Serena and Lily for Client's Master Bedroom. Order Kravet Windsor Smith Fabric for Pillows....same client.


Meanwhile, Tim is painting new wall in basement added to make room for Mom moving in.
Disaster....but work is calling
 11:00 AM Put together design for another client's Master Bedroom: furniture additions, lighting, area rug, bedding.
11:30AM SureWest guy comes to put in new TV hook up for Mom's new space. He also moves my computer hook up to "my" side of the basement.
1:00PM Work on tile re-selection for episode of Bath Crashers (DIY Network) that I am designing. What I thought would be a pretty quick process...not so quick.
1:30PM Start putting presentation together for Client Master Bedroom I was working on earlier. Keep researching for more items.
3:30PM Eat "Linner"....grilled cheese and chicken and stars....sometimes comfort food is the only way to go.
4:00PM Check emails
4:30PM Move office furniture, equipment and supplies to other side of basement into my "new" office. This may take awhile!

New Wall with Paint!

Moving Office to This Side of the Wall...still have a lot to do, but getting there! I am back in action.
4:45PM Pick up clean dogs from groomer.
5:15PM Keep on moving office stuff....hours more to go.
8:30PM Pay Per View movie: "Agora" about 4th century Greek woman philosopher Hypatia in Alexandria. Watched it while moving office. Not a bad rent! I had never heard of Hypatia before and never would have known women were revered as teachers in this era.
10:00PM pick up daughter from friends' house.
10:30PM Take a break and finish watching movie.
11:00PM Bed and read a bit of my book: "Velva Jean Learns to Drive". Velva Jean knew who Hypatia was.....so I am very glad I saw that movie! Very eerie to have Hypatia show up in two places in one day.
11:30PM Fell asleep and dreamed about little elves wearing togas finishing my office in the middle of the night....sigh...if only....

30 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Whew! I'm exhausted.

katiedid said...

Pamela! Me too! But I do sleep well. :)

My Interior Life said...

Ah, the little elves dream. I have that one often. Busy, busy day, but it sounds productive and educational!

Cindy Nichols said...

You have alot on your plate and I hate to give you more...But I would love to know about the Black dresser in your client's bedroom...Love it.
Any info on it would be appreciated.
aloha, Cindy Nichols

So enjoy your blog...One of my 3 go to blogs...

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

This post is stellar!
There's nothing quite like a real day in a real life.
You actually got a lot done too!
So funny the way that often happens -- you learn a knew word/name which you swear you've never crossed paths with before, and then boom, it pops up shortly thereafter.
Thanks for the movie tip -- I love Rachel Weisz and am going to look into that flick.
Hope tomorrow is filled with happy office arranging.
Alcira

thenerochronicles.blogspot.com

katiedid said...

MIL...yes to both! I do wish I had a passel of little elves!

Cindy! thank you so much for reading! I will always try my best to answer reader questions. The dresser is from Restoration Hardware. It was delivered to the client's house and she was very happy with the service and the dresser! We are waiting for a few more items and paint before we put the whole room together. I hope to post pics when it is all done!

mary said...

I'm amazed--that was one busy day. Hope you can put your feet up for a few hours. Have a great week-end. (Jones needs a bath, too)

Joanna said...

Katie - Love your blog! It's one of my favorite reads both because of the interior design "treats" and also because it reminds me of home (grew up in Lodi, college at UC Davis, and worked in Sacramento and San Francisco before moving to the Midwest.) Please keep writing!

Love the mirror in your client's master bedroom. Would you mind telling me more about it?

Thanks!

Mrs. Blandings said...

That is quite a day in the life. Congrats on the kitchen publication - can't wait to see it (I love your kitchens) and brava for multi-generational living.

Karena said...

Katie,
I am loving your office....you have quite a day in the life of......I love dogs, my cat Miss Belle dosen't get muddy though!

Xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

faithljustice said...

Hey, fun blog! I saw Agora when it first came out in NYC and loved Rachel Weisz' performance. If you want to know more about the historical Hypatia, I recommend a brief, but readable biography, by Maria Dzielska called Hypatia of Alexandria. I also have a series of posts on my blog about the history behind the events and characters in the movie--not a review, but a "reel vs. real" discussion. Hypatia was a remarkable woman!

quintessence said...

Wow - I'm pooped! What happened to dinner? I'm sure you needed sustenance with all that moving. And btw - LOVE your office!

Amy said...

Wow I thought I had a busy day. I am not absolutely exhausted!

24 Corners said...

Oh my goodness...you showered AND dressed in 15 minutes?! You have motivated me immensely and your office is wonderful...how nice for your Mom too!

btw- having Hypatia show up twice is so strange...crazy when stuff like that happens.
xo J~

Brillante Home Decor said...

Busy girl! I loved this unusual post and those pups are adorable.
Katie, if you have a moment read my latest post on a luxury real estate magazine and an article I wrote on Milan for them. Hope you'll enjoy the magazine and perhaps my article too. Have a great week. Ciao.

mydesignchic said...

That was exhausting, but totally worth it...the office is wonderful!!

Renae said...

Katie!
Whew girl! I LOVE your new office space. Re-doing my office is on the 'to-do' list for the first of the year. First though will be cleaning out the closet!
xx

Debra Phillips said...

katie, i was exhausted at 10;30am!
what a juggler you are.

ok, that office, OMG, dreamy and organized. what a great setting to meet your clients in.

enjoyed sharing your day

debra

LindsB said...

Your office is one of my favorites! All that space for organizing is my dream!

s|c|s|d said...

i love your new office!!!! so fresh and so clean clean!

bainbridge blues said...

Loved this post - especially the picture of the dogs! Made me smile today!

Michelle said...

lol...me thinks my office could use a little pick up, and yours has given me the inspiration to do it...why do I love sticks so much!! (the one on top of your bshelf)

Great Space!!!

Best,
Michelle

Linenqueen said...

Your office, my dear, is a smash. Everything about it is inviting, clean, available. Working in these surroundings would inspire anyone. I'm a woman who thinks basements are dark, smelly, and fit only for spiders, snakes and rats. What a difference a decorator makes.

I love your blog especially now that I know you have an Australian Shepperd. My life has been blessed with years of companionship from many different representatives of that exuberent breed going back to 1960. All mine were the blue color often with one blue eye. Love these dogs. Ann

postzoom said...

We are looking for great blogs and we would love it if you registered yours with us.

PostZoom is a directory of the best blog posts which helps readers find great blog posts and blog owners drive more traffic to their blog.

If you are interested in joining, please check us out!

Thanks,
Eric Castelli
PostZoom

katiedid said...

Hi Joanna!

Than you so much for reading! The mirror is from Ballard Design. We love the mirror, but sadly, the scale was of, so we ordered another from Horchow. I can hardly wait to show you all the finished room!

Faithljustice-
Thanks for stopping in! I am a history lover so am looking forward to stopping by your blog. I am now a bit fascinated with Hypatia.

katiedid said...

Again...hi all!

Thank you co much for your very kind comments. The camera can hide a multitude of flaws. The office has a long way to go...to be clean (dry wall dust everywhere! dog "fluff" and general clutter.) I will show you the finished product in the next couple of weeks once I am really moved in! It does look better though;)

La Petite Gallery said...

You must be exausted. but look at all you have accomplished.
Sweet dreams

yvonne

Storibook Designs said...

I love this post. I have said for a while that i need to do one similar because clients - heck, my husband sometimes, ha, ha - have no idea how much time in a day can be spent on their projects.

Your day of course was a day split among a multitude of tasks. Your office looks great (so tidy, bright and organized) and I think its wonderful that you are able to have your Mom move in. My grandmother moved in with us and it gave us (grandchildren) an opportunity to have a different relationship with her. We got a better sense of who she was.

All the best to you with the transition!

maison21 said...

i'm exhausted after reading that!

karima said...

I look forward to reading your blog and going through your website! It is absolutely the best!

My favorite Bodmer throw is the first one pictured...the brown tattersall. It is a beauty!

Karima