Friday, December 17, 2010

Holiday Decor at the Denham House

 The Holidays are about sharing and being with Family and Friends, right? So I wanted to share a little of what's been going on at our house. In between moving Mom in, working, and spending time with my daughter who is home for the Holidays from her first year at college, we have been decking the halls just a little bit.

Last year I made some stockings for the mantle using white burlap, trimming them with a little left over green linen I had from a local Showhouse I had worked on years ago. I added wooden letters to each stocking for each family member's initials. I made them with carved wood letters that I found at Michael's, which I painted black, then added gilding on top of that. I rubbed through the gilt so some of the black paint showed through. Cost for each stocking, about $6. 


My Mom brought some very fun things with her when she moved it! She had the vintage wire basket (I think it looks like a crown!) and we filled it with crystal bunches of grapes, decanter stoppers, and huge crystal chandelier drops. She also has been collecting crystal balls and spheres for some time, which we scattered across the mantle. I put up a Flea Market painting I found and a copper float that has faded to a beautiful grey-green atop a white ironstone footed bowl. Glass hhurricane lanterns and small glass votive holders, Cedar and Fir garland complete the mantle. Family memories, new and old make it special to all of us.

Our tree is not very "designer-y". There are so many beautiful takes on designer trees out there, my mind is boggled every year with all of the creativity out there! But our tree remains pretty much the same from year to year. Our kids love to put up ornaments we have collected over the years, many of which I had when I was growing up, some of which my Mom has had since her early marriage since the 50's! All of them hold Christmas stories for us....even the gold paper stars that have been on our tree ever since I was little. It may not be the chic-est...but it is perfection to us!

I hope you all have wonderful memories of Christmas past and joyful plans for Christmas present!

* Happy Weekend! *

37 comments:

NOtorious MLE said...

Hi Katie-When I got married my Mom gave me 1/3 of the ornaments we used when I was a kid and this year my son, my Mom and I decorated our tree in the same way. It is not very "designery" but it's incredibly beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Katie -
Your mantle and tree are beautiful. I love the painting. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Michelle

My Interior Life said...

I think your tree is very chic, and your mantel is awesome. Way to deck the halls! Enjoy your holiday with your family!

Linda in AZ * said...

* I think it looks like you, & all your loved ones, will have one of your loveliest, most memorable Christmas holidays ever, Katie... that's my wish for you all!

Blessings,
Linda in AZ *
bellesmom1234@comcast.net

La Dolfina said...

I adore your Holiday Decor, especially the tree!!
Merry Christmas

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

Absolutely beautiful and so warm and cozy.
Enjoy your family this holiday season -- they're so lucky to have you to create this lovely haven for them.
Cheers, Alcira

nerochronicles.com

Splendid Sass said...

Katie,
Your home is just beautiful. The stockings are genius.
I hope that you and your family are having a wonderful season.
Teresa

Concrete Jungle said...

Gotta have soul/memories to decorate a tree and somehow those beautiful designer trees never quite do,
yours does...mantle looks great!

Cristin @ Simplified Bee said...

Gorgeous holiday decor Katie! Wishing you and you family the merriest Christmas and joyous new year.

xo,
cristin

mary said...

I love your tree---that's one of the best things about Christmas: the wonderful shared memories especially of ornaments and their origins in family Christmases.

maison21 said...

just lovely, katie!

marry xmas!

Debra Phillips said...

katie

this is so lovely! your mantle has such depth of interest and love that it is a collection from you and your mom.
a very merry christmas to you and family!
debra

quintessence said...

Your mantle is lovely - love all the special touches your mom brought with her. And your tree is just like ours - with all the ornaments that mark our journey throughout the years - very special!

designer radiators said...

You have made your room in to a warm and inviting place and the christmas tree looks delightful!

Heidiopia said...

Your stars remind me of sunbursts-- great impact ornaments! And your mantle is clean-looking and festive-- the perfect combination. Thanks for sharing.

So Haute said...

Katie! Your holiday decor is so pretty! Wishing you and your family all the best this Christmas! xo

Claudia Juestel said...

Beautiful Katie! Love the straw stars, which remind me of my childhood.

Cheers,

Claudia

Sherry Jarwin said...

Katie - I love your decor - especially the incredibly sentimental tree. Much better than the "designery" kind. Merry Christmas!

Gina said...

... your tree is perfect!
... a perfect home designed tree ...

greetings from Germany

Gina

Mrs. Blandings said...

Katie - love the way you made your mother a part of decorating. Her things add such a perfect touch.

Karena said...

Katie, I agree with Mrs B, it is very special to have your Mother's cherished pieces included in your decor...beautiful!

Joyeaux Noel!

I have a new giveaway from My Sparrow, do come and enter!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Boxwood Terrace said...

It all looks beautiful and the ornaments on your tree are wonderful. The gold paper stars are spectacular.
Merry Christmas,
Deborah

RG _ into the studio said...

Wonderful Christmas tree! Love the decorations that stand out. It looks like a shinny star!!!
This last photo could to a magazine!

Happy Holidays too!

Renata Gross

Peter said...

Katie, that looks great. Happy Holidays. Nice pictures as well.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Katie, we had my parents living in our home for several years and it was wonderful to combine our holiday treasures! Your home is absolutely beautiful!! That tree is stunning!

Merry Christmas to you!!!

Melissa

VICTORIA said...

Such a beautiful holiday decor!the christmas tree looks delightful!Spaces are chic :) thanks for sharing.

*Chic Provence* said...

Hi Katie your Christmas home is wonderful and I love the tree, especially the paper stars! Your stockings are very cool, and I love the wire basket on the mantel..

Wishing a very lovely Christmastime to you and your family!

Kit

Wendy said...

lovely! Happy Holidays!!!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Happy, happy Christmas Katie!!

Renae said...

Katie!
I love what you did...just lovely! Ours is not designer-ish either, but it's what we like. I tried to make a fancy tree a few years back and the kids wondered where all their ornaments were...so back out they came!
Many blessings....
xx

Peggy and Fritz said...

I love the idea of the glass in the basket. Very beautiful. The painting is fabulous and I have no idea what you are talking about with your tree...it's simple and elegant. Very nice. Hope you had a great holiday.

the designers muse said...

pretty mantel, goes great with the painting above. Also nice to see the detail shot. The mantel looks great from across the room and close up.

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Gorgeous home and tree!
New follower.
Londen

poindextr said...

Your home holiday decorations are fabulous. Yay for your mom's wire basket! And I love the gold starbursts on your tree. Warm wishes for a joyful new year.

Hiren Modi said...

Beautiful Katie!

I love the idea of the home holiday decorations.How you were able to make this topic engaging is beyond my imagination. I have also find More Ideas on Vistastores Blog Home Decor.

Patty Lunz said...

You are the sweetest and you did an amazing job. This needs to be the reference for anyone who does not know how to tackle a long narrow space. It feels so inviting, and each area has a focus. The photography is stunning, well done Jaimie. Your decorating is my favorite style, a splash of Palm Beach Chic throughout. I really want to know more about how you painted the detail on those lamps. My favorite vignette is the chair with the brass lamp, Kerry's art, and the sconce...stunning!

Scat said...

Katie,
I'm new to your blog and I love it!