Monday, December 6, 2010

The Holidays are Here, and so is Rustic Elegance


If there is one thing I always associate with the Holiday Season, it has to be snow. And why not? The Holidays are smack in the middle of snow season, at least up here north of the 40th parallel. 'Tis the Season for swooshing down the mountains on skis, or boards...whatever works for you. Whatever you choose, there is always the anticipation of a warm fire and a mug of something hot waiting at the end of the day.

When I received a copy of the new book, Rustic Elegance, written and photographed by Ralph Kylloe, I knew I was in for an armchair getaway to some of the most perfect Winter settings in North America. And what perfect timing! I could curl up in front of my own fireplace, Chai Latte in hand and dream a little snowbound dream.
Rustic Elegance is a collection of beautiful log cabins, all creations of Larry Pearson AIA, set in gorgeous country in states ranging from Montana and Wyoming to Colorado and California, and everywhere with snow in between. Larry Pearson has been recognized a a leader in rustic design for some time. Small wonder when one first sees the almost fairytale character (when I say "fairytale, I am talking Tolkien's splendor) of the log cabins...and when one ventures inside to stone fireplaces blazing, candles burning, and cozy down comforters calling.


What I liked about this beautifully put together book, besides the obvious full bleed gorgeous photography and heft of the 12"x11" 256 pg. thing, was the way the chapters were organized. Each chapter shows a different house, inside and out, every room including kitchens and baths. It is full of wonderful ideas ....for example, built-in bunks are a popular way to bring in more guests to share the fun.
If you are looking for a perfect armchair travel book for that mountain loving friend or family member, Rustic Elegance would be the one. Who knows, it might even inspire them to get out of that armchair and hit the slopes! Or at least don a pair of snowshoes and a backpack full of cheese, bread and a bottle of wine. It all sounds good.
All photographs from Rustic Elegance, written and photographed by Ralph Kylloe. Reprinted with permission of Gibbs Smith 
.........

and don't forget to enter my Holiday Give Away for another little something to keep you warm!

13 comments:

Party Resources said...

As you can tell from my frequent posts about Vail, I too love the mountains. I want curl up in a chair in front of the fire with this book too!

serena at the urban farmhouse said...

Heavenly! Going on my wish list - thank you Katie!
Happy Holidays!
Serena

Splendid Sass said...

Katie,
I had rather have a home in the mountains than a beach or lake house. I am buying this book. These photographs are gorgeous, and I just love the elegant against the rustic.
Thank you for sharing.
Teresa

Scott Waterman said...

I have never seen bunk beads that looked more inviting...at least as an adult.

Boxwood Terrace said...

Oh, I love that bunk room! So cozy, I'd have to pass up skiing and sleep in everyday. Thanks for sharing.
Deborah

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Oh, I want the top bunk please!!

zincdesign said...

Katie, just the other day Mr.Z took me to see a log house he thought he would like us to buy...I am so not a log house kind of girl! But, your post is so timely, maybe I'll buy the book and get a fresh perspective. We live on the side of a mountain and the ski resort is just a stone's throw away. An upcomming project for a client is a cabin so, thank you for sharing this treasure!

katie kirby said...

Beautiful!

LiveLikeYou said...

I want to put on my skis and go down that mountain!! Then come back and sleep in one of those cozy rooms!

poindextr said...

Haven't been to Vail in ever so long and this makes me long for the mountains and cold crisp weather! Winter in south Texas is just not even close.

Love the look of the rustic mixed with modern and a touch of sparkle.

Renae said...

Oh my....this is my dream!
xx

mydesignchic said...

Wow...what a gorgeous book...definitely adding this one to my Christmas list!!

katiedid said...

Hi all!

Glad you enjoyed! The architect's take on the log cabin is wonderful. His website has even more beautiful work of all kinds. What I think I like most is the countryside the homes are in...amazingly beautiful!

Zinc! I know you could do justice to a log home!!!! I hope we get to see the results!