Thursday, February 24, 2011

Katie Denham Interiors on Bath Crashers

My plate has been very full of late, and I do apologize for not posting sooner! Last Monday night was the airing of  a Bath Crashers episode which featured a Master Bath I designed for the show. As I mentioned, it was a very interesting learning experience to see how a show like this is put together.

As a designer, I typically have a client who has a budget, a wish list and a particular style in mind. In the case of the Bath Crashers show, the client was not the home owner. I did get the home owner's input, but really the show producers and the host of the show, Matt Muenster, were my clients. And there is no budget. That's right...no money. All materials had to be procured from vendors who were kind enough to donate their products. Another challenge was that, since Bath Crashers is all about the DIY, I was charged with thinking about projects that could be done by the home owners.

So, how does one approach a design when all of the materials and fixtures are to be donated? Well....the design began with the layout of the space, which is par for the course. But when it came time to specify materials, it got a bit more tricky. I would give my ultimate "wish list" to the producers, and they would in turn approach the vendors to see if they would be interested in working with the show. If not, it was on to the next vendor.....and a new tile design for floors, shower walls and counters, and new plumbing fixtures as well. Luckily, I had Toto at the top of my list for providing the toilet (they have excellent products!).....and lo and behold, they had just come out with a new line for the other plumbing fixtures that they were anxious to promote. Hello cool faucets and shower trim! And I have to say, the sinks are gorgeous! Caesarstone was also on my list as a counter top material that is maintenance free (the home owners loved that!), and they came through with the counters. We were almost home! The hardest thing to procure was the flooring and the shower tile. It took several designs until a wonderful company by the name of Jeffrey Court stepped up and provided beautiful marble tile for the floors and a Moroccan patterned glazed mosaic wall tile for the shower. 

One of my very favorite sources for affordable lighting (and lots of other fun things!) is a company called Direct form Mexico. They provided the star lantern which I just love. The pendant lights at the sink was one of the DIY projects I came up with. I started with hurricane lanterns from Restoration Hardware and had the homeowners turn them into pendant lights by wiring them with lighting kit available through any hardware store. They painted the cord black, and the ceiling plates we got through Direct From Mexico.

So, I started with the "after" shots, but what did it look like "before"? If you got to watch the show, you already know, but for those that didn't, this is the best shot I took of what the room looked like:
There were old oak cabinets, no floor due to a recent flood, brass fixtures, lighting and shower enclosure, and that funny little plant shelf in the corner. Oh....and perhaps it's just me, but in the eighties and nineties, there was this feeling that Master Bathrooms needed to be open to the Master Bedroom. I never understood that. If my husband wants to get up and use the bathroom at 4:30 in the morning, and I want to sleep until 6:30.....please give me a door to the bathroom!!! The home owners were thrilled to be getting a new bathroom, and a new door!
After my design was complete on paper, I did a sketch so the home owners could give final approval. I think the final result looked pretty close to my sketch:

It was my favorite part of the show when the host of Bath Crashers, Matt Muenster, unrolled my drawing and showed it to the owners. (My next favorite part was seeing my name first up in the credits!!! Just a little thrill for the day).

So a little behind the scenes peek:
I came on the last day of shooting after demolition, framing, rough plumbing and electrical had already been completed. Tile had also been done. The Master Bedroom was cleared of all furniture and turned into a staging area for contractors and their supplies, as well as the producers, cameramen and sound technicians. I have to say, everyone was so much fun the 12 hour day flew by.
Matt Muenster, the host of the show is there for the days of filming, and as soon as this shoot is done, he is off to the next shoot. Here he is installing the automated mirror glides that reveal the hidden TV:
Meanwhile, counter tops are being completed outside in the driveway area:
The troop from Holmquist Glass were ready and waiting to install the shower glass:
And here they are hard at work:
The wall cabinets were painted by the home owners the previous day and ready to install:
The whole process was filmed all day long, as well as the previous few days....all to be edited down into a half hour show.

I came in to do the final staging and "fluffing" of towels at the end of the day, which turned out to be about 7 or 8 that night. The crew was getting their final shots and then there was the break down and clean up....we were there til the wee hours....a very long day. But we were very well fed, and it was so much fun, I barely noticed. 

The final product with Matt Muenster:
And the happy new Master Bath owners:

The end result turned out to be very fresh and pretty:

A big THANK YOU to the team at Idea Factory, Bath Crashers and the DIY Network for making the experience so much fun! And to all of the contractors and subs who worked so hard to make it all happen.

For more information about this episode and future repeat episodes (just in case you missed it! Hehe) click on over HERE.

31 comments:

Karena said...

wow Katie what an interesting and exciting experience. You did a great design I love it!! Cool lighting!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Boho Farm and Home said...

Love it! I especially like that yellow green...could you tell me the color by chance? Beautiful!
Congrats!
Caroline

Sarah at Finishing Touch Interiors said...

Wow how exciting seeing your designs put together for something like this congratulations. It looks stunning :)

maison21 said...

just gorgeous ,katie. you are soooo talented. is the episode available online? i don't have the DIY channel. :-(

katiedid said...

Thanks so much everyone! Christian, the episode will eventually be on the Bath Crashers website, but is not there yet. It might also eventually air on HGTV, since other Bath Crashers episodes have been on HG.

24 Corners said...

The bathroom is beautiful...you did a great job, what a fun experience! Love the counter top cabinets!
xo J~

Dee said...

Your drawing is terrific but I’m blown away with your design.
The bathroom looks amazing!

Dee

Simple Dwellings said...

Wow- amazing job! Congratulations on being on the show! What an amazing accomplishment. The bathroom looks gorgeous- beautiful choices in finishes. So happy to find your blog.

Sherri Cassara said...

I saw the show and was disappointed that they didn't speak of the designer at all... I was waiting for them to say your name at least! The bathroom turned out beautiful and I really think it is interesting about the budget and having to have things donated... I never would have expected that. I thought you were going to say that there was no budget, meaning you could spec whatever you wanted and they would buy it!!! Great job!

mary said...

It is gorgeous!! Love the lighting. Congratulations!!

threeacres said...

What a beautiful bathroom! Thank you for posting this I love the extended countertop around the linen cabinets I might add that to our bathroom remodel. I'm surprised by the $0 budget. Who donated those beautiful cabinets?

Pink Overalls said...

What I love is that there are so many DIY elements that look high end but are relatively easy to do -- the mirrors, those cabinets, new paint color, all three lights. The details are striking, but subtle. Sweet!

designchic said...

How exciting, Katie. It's gorgeous!! Have a wonderful weekend ~

Mary said...

On the show, the host picks a random client willing to take him home & willing to have their bathroom made over. Then he shows up the next day with the design and the room is done in 3 days.
Does he really show up the next day? I always wondered how a bathroom could be designed overnight.

katiedid said...

Thanks again to you all!
Sherri, I was a bit disappointed not to be mentioned more also. All of the other contractors and subs involved had many mentions and air time as well. The designers have never gotten air time, so I was expecting it. I think it is for a couple of reasons. The show is all about how to put it together, not necessarily the design.....so the emphasis is on the contractors and home owners. The main reason is that the host of the show is the feature......at least that is what I am supposing.

Hi Mary! Thanks so much for reading and watching the show! All I can say here is....you are correct. A bathroom cannot be designed with all of the materials on hand overnight. Design takes thought and documentation, especially in the case of kitchens and baths. And rounding up the materials....not a quick process either. The average person should never expect the remodel to only take three days either....the actual build out for the show is very fast however. I think in this case it was about 5 days (after demolition is already done), but I have heard it can be as short as three. This can happen because of the extensive prior preparation and coordination with the contractor team. It is also expensive to be "on set" so they pack as much as possible in a very short amount of time. I hope this answer your question!

Thanks again everyone! You have all made my day!!

Amy R. said...

Honestly, I have watched this show many times and I did not understand who paid for it. I assumed the show paid for it in combination of sponsors. This is a great post with great information. I think you did a lovely job. I would probably crack under the pressure of it all. Bravo to you!

Happy Weekend!
Amy R.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!! katie, are resouces paint, lighting, cabinets, tile, etc.)listed anywhere?
kerry

Mary said...

So Matt (host) & his team don't really show up the next day ready to work?

katiedid said...

Thnaks Kerry! The materials should be listed eventually on the website. They are not there yet though. But keep an eye out! I have listed most of the resources in the blog post.

Mary, hehe!

Oh...I should clarify....there is a budget/$$ for raw building materials such as lumber and drywall and other items that are not donated.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Katie - so exciting and I love the star pendant - off to check it out now. Congratulations, again.

zincdesign said...

Katie ...look at you go,girl! congratulations on all your achievements lately...just beautiful...what talent! I have a bath...could use your touch!

Kerry said...

I'm sorry, Katie, I meant specifics, like paint color, tiles used, countertop color, etc. You know, in case I ever get to remodel my bathroom I can sort of copy? LOL. Do you think they'll list those details on the site?

It truly is one of the most beautiful bathrooms I've ever seen.

Hope to catch the episode tonight.

Thanks,
Kerry

Gabriella {sensiblyluxe} said...

I love that sketch you have--did you get to keep it? It would be a lovely little thing to have framed in the bathroom!

Kristan said...

Katie, just amazing! It is a very classy bathroom with a homey, feminine touch. I love the soft green and crisp white.
Well Done!

samia said...

Amazing!! love the lights!!! and the colors so serene and so standing out.. gorgeous!!

Andrea said...

Beautiful bathroom design! I can't believe I just found your blog randomly through the blogosphere. My bathroom will be featured on BC later this season. I have been watching all the new episodes in anticipation and your design stood out as my favorite (to my own of course!) Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

Oh my soo gorgeous! Wow so wishing that was my bathroom. Luv

Home Improvement Videos said...

Bathroom designs are really very nice ! lights are matching with the interiors of the room!!!


Keep writing

Canvas Art said...

Everyone is looking to improve the appearance of their homes. There are many things one can do in order to improve the appearance of a place. But one of the simplest and most effective ways of capturing the attention of visitors is through the use of Canvas Art.

Anonymous said...

Love the finished look! I have seen very pretty hardware at www.lookintheattic.com that would be very pretty in this bath also!

Ela G said...

Hi Katie,

Amazing!

Where did you get the cabinets for this project? I noticed it says you had the owners painting the large one. Did you order them all from the same place or custom made and then painted? Really curious on this, thanks so much!