Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Freshening Up


It is so nice to come in to my office now that I have a new slipcover for this old wingback chair. I have had this chair ever since my kids were little. I found it at a yard sale for $25 probably 15 years ago. Back then, we were just starting our family. We had just bought our first house and the kids were so young. I made a slipcover myself....not knowing what I was doing at all. I used regular thread.... the kind you would use for clothing. I did not know that I needed upholstery thread! The slipcover did not hold up all that well as you can imagine. But we had always made do with the chair....but recently, I just could not look at it another minute! It was threadbare and stained after so many washings I cannot count. It was time.

So here she is....with a plumped up seat cushion and a very simple white denim slip. I am trying to decide whether to paint the legs white or leave them black....and whether to leave on the arm covers, or leave them off. Photo ready and real life are very different after all.

13 comments:

Simple Dwellings said...

Wow- I love this slipcover! it looks great in your gorgeous office. The shelves to the left look beautiful! I think the wing chair legs look great as is! I wouldn't change a thing! :)

Callie Grayson said...

Looks fabulous!
I was thinking of dyeing one of my sofa slip covers this weekend for a colour change.... we will see !

xx
callie

under spanish moss said...

The chair looks great. It's ready for many more years of use.
Angela and Renee

janie said...

Very nice. Take arm covers & leave the legs black.

katiedid said...

I agree....I am definitely NOT an arm covers sort of person. When I first got our armchairs for the Living Room, Tim kept putting them on, and I kept pulling them off. I think it is the pristine white fabric....but that is why they invented the dry cleaners, no?

mary said...

The chair looks great, but I agree with Janie.

maison21 said...

leave the black legs! it's be to beachy otherwise...

and i'm with ya on the armcover indecision. they are unslightly, but so handy to just throw in the wash without having to disrobe the whole chair.

Linda in AZ * said...

*** Looking GOOD, Sweets!!!

Personally & IMHO, the black legs not only LOOK nice, but keep the chair "grounded", as well as blending in well w/ the great hinges on that wonnnnderful piece it sits next to...

If you're going to sit in that great-looking chair (with SO many wonderful memories!) everyday, & really give it a good "working out" (it looks WONDERFUL, BTW!!!), why not keep the arm covers ON for daily use/living/when nobody else is around, etc, and THENNNN, "quick-like-a-bunny", REMOVE them if "company" comes??? I suspect that will save you alot of washings, which to ME means struggling to put it all back on, etc!!! (A blanket over one arm helps of course, but then, there's the SECOND arm to worry about, huh?!?!?!)...

AGAIN, L*O*V*I*N*G my book and thanking you so much!!!

Warmest,
Linda in AZ *
bellesmom1234@comcast.net

cindy said...

Chair looks fresh chic as is. Take covers off for company perhaps and leave the legs dark. The contrast with the fabric is nice. The arms will get dirty immediately if the chair is used regularly.

stylishserendipity.blogspot.com

pve design said...

Just like a fresh pair of denim jeans, your chair looks so crisp and fresh. I think the black legs look chic and perhaps the arm covers could be deeper...so they fit down below the cushion. I think they do preserve the life of the chair and thwart any sort of trace of sticky fingers.
pve

The enchanted home said...

Looks fabulous..amazing huh what a lift something like that can give!

Kim said...

I would leave legs dark, and as PVE Design suggested, go deeper on the arm covers (I did that with a chair and it worked great).

katiedid said...

The funny thing is, I didn't even order the arm covers. The thoughtful folks who made the slipcover just included them as a matter of course.

I think I may take Linda's advice....leave them on for grubby hands of family and the pups, and take them off when company (and clients!) come over.

Black legs will stay....it's unanimous! :)